Simple Flow Profiling on the La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by Jake_G (original poster) »

Ben Z. wrote:Careful on the IP thing. Remember, patents prohibit others from making or using what's covered. You don't need to be selling anything to be infringing.

But, I'm pretty sure you are just talking in hypotheticals...

I think I remember they went after Frank for his LMLM kits that literally used Slayer branded needle valves back in the day, so I know they are paying attention.

LM wants to stay far away their IP, and I understand why.

However, their claims are very specific to having two separate flow paths to the brew tank:
a brew flow rate regulation assembly that includes at least a first valve disposed downstream from the pump and upstream from the brew tank and the giggleur, wherein the brew flow rate regulation assembly is configured and arranged to regulate the brew flow rate of water while brewing the coffee beverage, wherein the brew flow rate regulation assembly includes a first flow path in fluid communication with the brew tank and a second flow path also in fluid communication the brew tank and each of the first flow path and the second flow paths are disposed downstream from the pump and upstream from the brew tank.
Given the proliferation of flow control devices for E61s and the commercial existence of the Dalla Corte Mina, I'm fairly confident I'm off of Slayer's (and Gruppo Cimbali's) radar.
But thanks for the watch out!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by PIXIllate »

Wasn't there some indication that someone found evidence of a crude version of the current e61 flow control in the original e61 patent design? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#23: Post by Jake_G (original poster) »

It is in Valente's original patent, yes.
LMWDP #704

wtfjostin

#24: Post by wtfjostin »

Is there a way to do this mod with the actual lever controlling the flow?

HH

#25: Post by HH replying to wtfjostin »

No, not currently.

Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#26: Post by Jake_G (original poster) »

It is certainly possible to have the paddle control the flow. There is not a lot of real estate on the Micra to make this happen, but the needle valve can be mounted anywhere, and one could certainly work up a linkage to make the paddle control the needle valve. I worked up such a creation for the mini a few years ago, and it does work, it is just tedious to get it all setup and working smoothly.

An alternative, as Niels brought up, is to hook the paddle to a potentiometer and have it control a servo on the valve. All totally doable. Just a matter of time and effort to work out the details.
wtfjostin wrote:Is there a way to do this mod with the actual lever controlling the flow?
Jostin, regarding your PM on available kits for profiling on the Micra, Grafikus offers a Slayer-style kit and I believe the Coffee Machinist has an EMP mod for the Micra in the works, as well.

If you have questions on specific parts for this mod, please let me know here, and I'll clarify.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

wtfjostin

#27: Post by wtfjostin »

Thanks for getting back! I think at this point I'd like to go down the route of replacing the stock pump with a variable one. I've come in contact with a company here in San Diego who does service LM machines but being that this is pretty much uncharted territory we're both kind of flying blind. To achieve this would you be able to list out parts actually needed? I reached out to Coffee Machinist a few days ago but still waiting on a reply.

Gabriel.Abe

#28: Post by Gabriel.Abe »

A certain guy named Da Vinci once said that Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication! It is a fascinating solution to the main flaw of this machine! I couldn't help but think about the feasibility of this mod on other machines! Am I missing something, or is it possible pull this off by placing one of those needle valves on the tube that runs to the brew boiler?
I'm intrigued by the fact that this genius mod isn't being adopted throughout the cheaper dual boilers, such as Lelit Elizabeth and Rancilio Silvia Pro X. Even the Breville dual Boiler, for which you created the now famous "slayer mod" could benefit from this, by retaining the functionality of the hot water spigot.
Thanks a lot for the answers, and sorry if I'm oversimplifing it!

Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#29: Post by Jake_G (original poster) replying to Gabriel.Abe »

The simple "splice in a valve" option is certainly viable.

However, the choice was made on the Slayer mod for the BDB and on the Micra to splice the valve in before the pressure gauge so you can see the impact the needle valve has on the supply pressure to the brew boiler. It isn't exactly puck pressure, but it is close enough to be meaningful.

Otherwise, you're not missing anything at all!

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Jake_G (original poster)
Team HB

#30: Post by Jake_G (original poster) »

Sorry for the necro post. But I realized I never properly chronicled how to remove the case:

Removing the case:

The case needs to be removed to convert the machine between reservoir and plumbed in and it os necessary to remove the right rail beneath the cup tray grate to adjust the pump pressure.

The first step is to remove the four slotted screws securing the top group cover plate:

Once that's out of the way, locate the two 7mm hux nuts that secure the cup tray grate to the polished front plate:

They do not need to be removed, just loosened a bit:

From there, you can carefully remove the cup tray grate. Be careful, as the magnets at the back are strong and will encourage the grate to become jammed between the rails and back lip of the cover. Here are the rails with the magnets exposed at the back. Remove the Phillips screws at the front of the rails and securing the magnets:

Once the rails are removed, remove the screw securing the electronics box to the rear cover:

Then remove the three slotted screws on each side of the polished front plate shown here:

And here:

Then the rear cover can be slid towards the rear:

And finally removed:

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704