Shurflo / Aquatec pump without accumulator

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
TooManyHobbies

#1: Post by TooManyHobbies »

Hey all,

Would it be okay to run my espresso machine off of a bottle using a shurflo / aquatec style pump without an accumulator for a few weeks? I'm not sure of my final setup yet and if i'm going to go with a 2 gallon accumulator or one of the mini ones. I can't see any reason it wouldn't be but I figured I'd ask the brain-trust here just in case.

Thanks!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

It's not a problem, the pump will just cycle each time you draw water instead of time-to-time with an accumulator. At espresso flow rates, there's no need for a large accumulator. On the other hand, if you're going to use the pump to run a pitcher rinser, for example, then a larger accumulator would be worth having.
Dan Kehn

Grant

#3: Post by Grant »

Though I've read numerous times it is not a good idea, I run my Elektra A3 with the pump drawing directly from a 5 gallon bottle. No external pump/accumulator. I primed it by having the bottle higher than the machine, and then put a backflow preventative valve on it.

Supposed to have 4 bar pressure, but when we moved I had little to no choice where the machine is and no in-line water source available. Been running this way since 2013 so seems to be OK... :?

Just have to very careful about water level in the bottle.
Grant

TooManyHobbies (original poster)

#4: Post by TooManyHobbies (original poster) »

HB wrote:It's not a problem, the pump will just cycle each time you draw water instead of time-to-time with an accumulator. At espresso flow rates, there's no need for a large accumulator. On the other hand, if you're going to use the pump to run a pitcher rinser, for example, then a larger accumulator would be worth having.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. If this machine ends up living in my house, I'll skip the rinser, but if I end up taking it as a mobile catering unit I'll want the rinser and I'll need some sinks as well. Of course, if I take it mobile, space will also be at a bigger premium, which is frustrating.