Sanremo You - Single Group Espresso Machine - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Arafel

#71: Post by Arafel »

The You looks interesting for sure, but the 1L steam boiler has me slightly concerned. By comparison, the Linea Mini has a 3.5 liter steam boiler. The ECM Synchronika and Profitec Pro 700 have a 2 liter steam boiler.

JackHK

#72: Post by JackHK replying to Arafel »

Exactly my point :mrgreen:
To make little bigger steam boiler only cost few bucks ekstra, it's nothing compared to the final price on this machine

Coffeeshark

#73: Post by Coffeeshark »

Sanremo, take my money! My Londinium I passed away after 9 years of service this week, so I checked the market for more high-endish machines and the YOU seems to tick all of my checkboxes.

My shortlist (and reasons not to buy) so far was:

Slayer - Just can't stand the looks of it.

Kees van der Westen Speedster - Was my top pick prior to discovering the YOU. Love the looks, but the technique of it in terms of pre-infusion, profiling etc. is very basic.

La Marzocco Leva X1 - I kinda love lever machines that's why I bought a Londinium as an early adopter 9 years ago. The Leva X1 has some amazing features, but when I saw the whole grouphead/machine bend during the lever pull on their own advertising videos, that reminded my of my early bending problems with my Londinium so I told myself that I cannot shell out 15,000 USD on a machine that's anything less than rock-solid.

Della Corte Mina: Here again I don't like to looks and I don't like machines with turning knobs for steam.

So the YOU seems a great solution for my needs AND I like its aesthetics. If that manual profiling actually works, it's the real thing. I'm not concerned with the 1 liter steam boiler, if you look at the few videos on YouTube I think the steam power is good enough for my needs. It could even be tweaked up by increasing steam boiler pressure. Also from an economic point of view the boiler size seems sensible.

The only darn issues us that I need a new machine fast and the YOU is not yet on the market. Just these days it started popping up on some German online sellers at prices of 6,575 EUR = 7,462 USD (including 19% German VAT!) for the black version with tank + fixed plumbing and manual pressure paddle (but without the wood knobs that I'd like to order) with an indicated delivery time of January/February.

I'll need to see whether it's coming fast enough onto the market or whether I'll need to look for something else instead.

Arafel

#74: Post by Arafel »

Coffeeshark wrote:Sanremo, take my money!
The only darn issues us that I need a new machine fast and the YOU is not yet on the market. Just these days it started popping up on some German online sellers at prices of 6,575 EUR = 7,462 USD (including 19% German VAT!) for the black version with tank + fixed plumbing and manual pressure paddle (but without the wood knobs that I'd like to order) with an indicated delivery time of January/February.

I'll need to see whether it's coming fast enough onto the market or whether I'll need to look for something else instead.
If that's the price it takes it off my list. That's the same price as a GS3, and you can get a modded Linea Mini for less.

PeetsFan

#75: Post by PeetsFan »

ira wrote:Except with cell phones, there's likely a million or more potential targets for the replacement screen, with a weird espresso machine it's more likely hundreds if that.

Ira
I can explain that. What a vendor can do is buy any touch screen and they program a small FPGA to translate any signal timing differences. That's how smartphone replacement screens work. The FPGA only costs a few dollars, gets mounted to the back of the screen, and the result is a plug and play replacement screen.

ira
Team HB

#76: Post by ira »

And for a cell phone the volume is there to make someone go to the trouble. On a SanRemo, less likely. Not saying I'm right. Also, phone has a life of 4 years, espresso machine, maybe 10 or more.

Ira

Coffeeshark

#77: Post by Coffeeshark »

I ordered the You today from an offline dealer in the region. 6,420 EUR incl. VAT and incl. personal delivery, setting up, instruction. Deducing the 19% German VAT that's 5,400 EUR or 6,160 USD.

Delivery date "February/March", we'll see.

I wanted the version with wooden handles (hot water, steam and paddle), as seen on the videos from the trade show, but they don't seem to be available at market launch. But the dealer is working with a carpenter for modifications and he will have the handles and also the portafilter handles turned in wood for me (cost still unknown).

BaristaBob

#78: Post by BaristaBob »

So excited for you Coffeeshark! Let us know here once it comes and you have had a chance to pull some shots.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

sluflyer06

#79: Post by sluflyer06 »

PeetsFan wrote:
I saw Sanremo's professional machines at the Expo in NOLA. Very impressive. For instance, their hot water dispenser works by steaming cold water, instead of dispensing hot water from the boiler. This prevents the boiler from quickly draining and subsequently shutting down for a reheat cycle. Very well thought out, through and through.
That's actually a terrible design IMO for the reason that you're continuously only using steam out of the service boiler meaning instead of refreshing the boiler water every time you use hot water, you're only using steam which means a forever increasing saturation of the steam boiler and thus scale problems no matter how soft the water supply is.

PeetsFan

#80: Post by PeetsFan replying to sluflyer06 »

Not if the machine is being used all day long in a shop.