Sanremo You - Single Group Espresso Machine - Page 51

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#501: Post by Scott_29 »

BaristaBob wrote:So you moved on from the Bianca? Why?
This was a splurge, as overall I liked the Bianca. So, I can't possibly gaslight myself or anyone by saying this was a truly needed upgrade.

The key feature to me was I wanted true repeatability with programming, as I have a tendency to always have 2-3 different types of beans I'm experimenting with. When I find something I like, the YOU makes it dead simple to replicate. I also love the full manual control option, which of course was also available on the Bianca.

I also really enjoy the fast heat up times as this fits my use profile much better. This is a huge bonus for me, personally, as the Bianca would take at least a full 30 minutes to be ready for extraction and steaming.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't admit I'm a tech/gadget nerd, and I also am a huge fan of the styling of this machine. The YOU certainly scratched those itches!

Peter_SVK

#502: Post by Peter_SVK »

ggcadc wrote: Im not even sure what other machines have this featuer set of manual flow control with shot record and playback, maybe a strada or slayer but im not sure the single group variants do this and certainly not at this price point. Maybe Im way off, maybe im missing something, let me know.
Capuchin Monk wrote:Rocket R Nine One maybe?
Also add Dalla Corte Mina.

Peter_SVK

#503: Post by Peter_SVK »

ggcadc wrote:...The idea of using a puck screen is not something I'd be super into...
The biggest advantage of the screen puck is that the coffee particles do not get back into the group head (or only in a limited amount), so backflush cleaning does not need to be done often. The main reason I use it and recommend it.

GDK

#504: Post by GDK replying to Peter_SVK »

I just got my 1.7mm screen, still zero experience. I would imagine with the screen you can dose a bit below the basket size as opposed to buying a smaller basket to avoid messy pucks.

Peter_SVK

#505: Post by Peter_SVK »

Theoretically yes, but I don't use it that way (I have various baskets 24 - 32 mm). I use custom made screen puck 1.0mm/50um just to keep grouphead clean.

ggcadc

#506: Post by ggcadc »

Peter_SVK wrote:Also add Dalla Corte Mina.
Ok, now THAT has some design! I love it.

Peter_SVK

#507: Post by Peter_SVK »

Yep, DC fan here (and owner too). :D

GDK

#508: Post by GDK replying to Peter_SVK »

Mina is certainly a beautiful machine, it got my attention when it came out - another intrepid move I would say. I admire their stand on smaller portafilter size (54mm I think). After experiencing both 53mm and the 58mm sizes, I can say the smaller size is easier to work with and there has not been definitive say on which produces better testing espresso. Downside of course is availability of accessories due to the 58mm "standard" but not a disaster for sure.

DanielCroft

#509: Post by DanielCroft »

The screens help with group cleanliness, supposedly with water distribution (I guess if your shower screen doesn't do a great job?), as well as adjusting the headspace as people have mentioned. With a volumetric machine like the You, you can just as easily change your recipe for yield but the affects of headspace go beyond that. For cleanliness you can also run a paper filter which are disposable but also recycleable.

I've used metal screens a good bit and even used a couple of them. Most interesting thing I've seen with them (other than a clean group) is that if your puck expands to the point that the screen (or coffee) impacts your shower screen, your shot slows down a lot.

ggcadc

#510: Post by ggcadc »

Got a 15g basket and with the same 18.2-18.6g dose the results are exactly the same as with an 18g basket. I suspect the siphon effect on this machine with how snappy the solenoid is just won't totally dry a puck.

I can try a puck screen and see if it resolves this. For some reason since it's been brought up here I'm now obsessed with cleaning up this aspect. Is this is a problem that's limited to some machines or is this just how this machine works?