Sanremo You - Single Group Espresso Machine - Page 39

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DanielCroft

#381: Post by DanielCroft »

I ordered my You on August 8th, I was told 2 to 3 weeks, then 3 to 4, then 4 to 6. I wonder whether Sanremo is actually keeping up with orders (or maybe the place I ordered it is just bad at setting expectations)?

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#382: Post by Scott_29 replying to DanielCroft »

Interesting. Where did you order it from? I ordered mine from Clive. Their site says "In Stock" but trading emails I was led to believe it wouldn't ship out for at least 2 weeks.

I looked at Voltage as well and they are saying early/mid October depending on the color way.

DanielCroft

#383: Post by DanielCroft »

Yep, Clive Coffee. I talked to Voltage as well but Clive's "love it or return it" thing made the difference. 30 days once I get it and I can return it.

I've been in touch with Clive every couple of weeks and the timeline keep sliding out so I'm not convinced I'll get it in the next week. Last I was told it'd be built and shipped within the next 2 weeks (that was a week ago).

The ordering process isn't great, not necessarily a criticism of Clive btw, but you spend that much cash and are told "yeah, it'll get there in 2 weeks" for a month.

barri

#384: Post by barri »

Scott_29 wrote:
I am certain all of these machines are capable of insanely good coffee, but would love to hear from some YOU owners to sway my opinion into this camp!
Scott, I sold my Decent about February, it wasn't for me and went on the hunt for a more traditional machine with local support and when I saw the YOU it was love at first sight. It has the perfect balance of functionality, looks (my wife loves it) and traditional features with the added bonus of a paddle to have manual shots. Steaming is way superior and you can steam and pull a shot at the same time, warm up time is less than 10 minutes from cold and less than 3 minutes from standby mode. I made a coffee the other day using the paddle and wasn't concentrating and the preinfusion went on too long for about 15 seconds then I ramped up for a while and stopped the shot after about 35 seconds. Sort of like a Slayer shot. It was absolutely magnificent. Being able to save that shot was a real bonus. That is now my go to shot for that bean. That's the sort of thing you can do with the YOU. With 6 built in presets, 12 customizable and 6 paddle, it has way more than I would ever need. The boilers are smaller, hence the quick warm up time but I've never had a problem doing back to back shots when friends visit. Availability seems like the only problem. Mine took 7 weeks but I'm from "down under" which can be a problem but some of my American friends have waited similar times. Demand and supply are not on equal terms

I hope that helps!

PS I don't work for San Remo

Scott_29
Supporter ♡

#385: Post by Scott_29 »

Thank you barri! I appreciate you taking the time to respond with your experience. I've officially placed the order and now am in waiting mode. I was told 2-3 weeks, so fingers crossed!

barri

#386: Post by barri »

Good choice

CannaLucente

#387: Post by CannaLucente »

Hi All,
just registered after months of lurking to decide my new equipment. Just had it 2 days and I love it!

As I am new to the home barista world (had a Saeco bean to cup which lasted over 10 years), I am keen to experiment but can't drink 150 coffees a day... Is there a website or something where we can publish the recipes we create for the various extraction profiles which could be used as a starting point to experiment?

Is it me not understanding how it works, or the presets are actually just 2 different recipes repeated 3 times?

Jeff
Team HB

#388: Post by Jeff »

Because coffees, water, grinders, and personal preferences vary so much, "recipe exchanges" haven't shown a lot of value [in getting to a tasty shot based on settings alone], even with highly programmable machines. Even if using the same profile, the parameters and outputs change a lot.

You can get in the ballpark, but then will benefit from tuning by taste. See, for example, Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

JRising
Team HB

#389: Post by JRising »

Start with the roaster's suggested recipe, then modify to taste if you think you can improve on it or adapt it to the idiosyncrasies of your grinder and machine. Roasters are always willing to share their suggestions for their blends. They want you to see how amazing their coffee truly is.

CannaLucente

#390: Post by CannaLucente »

Thank you both for your reply. I looked at the 101 and was playing around with the timing of the extraction but realised I was inconsistent with tamping so 2 back to back coffees with the same grind/quantity/recipe were having very different extraction times. Now I've received a Normcore V4, hoping it will help me making my tamping more consistent.
What you say in terms of recipe reusability is definitely true, I was looking for something that could give indications of a starting point for non traditional extraction (e.g. the slayer shot, which I often read about on forums), similarly to what the Decent community do.
Good point on asking the roasters, I'm currently on a subscription which sends me 2 new coffees beans every 2 weeks so I'll reach out to them and keep track of their suggestions!

One last question... is there a way to remove the water tank (e.g. to wash it) without unscrewing the top panel? I've tried and failed as it gets stuck...

Thank you!