San Marco ready for home setup

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Mad Scientist

Postby Mad Scientist » Dec 04, 2018, 8:32 pm

Referencing my rebuild thread over here La San Marco 85-16M Practical rebuild

Has anyone ever cut a hole in their formica kitchen countertop for the purpose of passing electrical lines, water line and drain hose? I'm thinking of doing this. The machine would set above the dishwasher, but above the dishwasher is a microwave shelf that needs to be cut off from the cabinet. This cabinet would need to be removed from the wall in order to make the cuts. In addition, is anyone using a submersible water pump and float switch to pump water from a bucket to the garbage disposal port (the dishwasher port).

Does this seem extreme or doable? Thank you...

ira

Postby ira » Dec 04, 2018, 9:09 pm

Cutting formica is easy, a sharp holesaw should do fine, Make sure to waterproof the hole as formica is thin and commonly on top of particle board or plywood which do not take kindly to getting wet. When I worked in a cabinet shop, they just used sharp fine tooth carbide blades to cut the sheets. Always finished the edges with a router. There are special slightly tapered bits with bearings to make this easy. If you can, clamp a piece of particle board that you've previously cut a hole in, preferably with a drill press to hold down the formica and minimize chipping and help keep the saw straight.

Ira

Mad Scientist

Postby Mad Scientist » Dec 05, 2018, 10:32 am

Thank you Ira! You provide good information all the time.

This is the area in the kitchen. This is a twenty year old dishwasher, hasn't been used in 14 years. Anybody ever pull their dishwasher out and use that area to hide the wires, external pump and drain hose? The dishwasher has it's own circuit at the breaker box and a 3/8" soft copper suppy line.

ira

Postby ira » Dec 05, 2018, 3:20 pm

Never a dishwasher, but I pulled the stove out of next door to put in an industrial robot and the air compressor it needed to for the soldering head. But, it's perfect, pull the dishwasher, replace it with a matching door and build a slide in unit for spares, water filter and everything else the machine needs. Or Sawzall off the back of the dishwasher and just use it for the cabinet!

Ira

Mad Scientist

Postby Mad Scientist » Feb 13, 2019, 1:54 pm

I recently hard plumbed in my machine, in a home I am renting, while I wait for my home to be repaired from hurricane Michael.

Purchased these items below from Amazon. The tee splits it to the sink faucet and machine.

LASCO 06-9111 Angle Stop Add-A-Tee Valve, 3/8-Inch Compression Inlet X 3/8-Inch Compression Outlet X 3/8-Inch Compression Outlet, Brass

APEC Ultra High Capacity Under Sink Water Filtration System - Premium Quality US Made Filter (CS-2500)

API Test KIT Individual Aquarium Water Test Kit

(tested water at 40 ppm KH and 80 ppm GH)

jyl

Postby jyl » Feb 14, 2019, 1:36 am

You could also go in the side of the cabinet, between cabinet and fridge. Avoids a hole in the countertop. Which may not matter to you.

Why drain water to bucket then pump from bucket to garbage disposal, instead of draining directly from machine to garbage disposal?
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.