Sage dual boiler portafilter

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
trifaze

#1: Post by trifaze »

First good regards to everyone on the forum, I am a pure beginner in making homemade coffee from a home espresso machine, but 10 years ago I was the owner of a coffee bar and I have some basis in making coffee from espresso machines. Otherwise, I am addicted to espresso from a coffee shop and drink them too much daily. Now, considering the situation with the corona virus and the closure of coffee shops, I decided to buy an espresso machine. For myself, I think I'm a pretty technical guy, as I service and maintain electronics hydraulics and pneumatics in the industry, so servicing the machine is no problem for me. Now, by chance, I bought a used sage gastroback dual boiler machine online for a great price. It's great on specs, two boilers, a pid, and what is particularly good for me is that the water circuit is in stainless steel and not in the aluminum boiler. Unfortunately, incomplete without portafilter and other accessories. Only now have I seen the problem with the maintenance and purchase of parts for these machines, especially since online shops do not deliver spare parts to my country (Slovenija EU) and the supply of spare parts is also very poor. Now I'm sorry I didn't buy a 20 year old La san Marco machine because there are at least ten repair shops in our country and many more online. Now I would like to ask the owners of the Sage or Breville dual temp machine if you can give me the details of the portafilter dimensions. I have some old portafilters at home and I can process them to fit my machine.
I apologize for any possible language mistakes.

I wish you much health and best regards
Michael

pcrussell50

#2: Post by pcrussell50 »

trifaze wrote:Only now have I seen the problem with the maintenance and purchase of parts for these machines, especially since online shops do not deliver spare parts to my country (Slovenija EU) and the supply of spare parts is also very poor.

Michael
Actually you're somewhat in luck since you work in hydro and pneumatics. Most of the maintenance on this machine is just that... using common, non-proprietary hydro and pneumatic fittings and o-rings. On older machines, common ordinary o-rings need periodic replacement, and every couple of years or so, the steam valve will develop a drip. Fortunately, it is serviceable instead of replaceable. Other than damage from corrosive water or scale from water with too much Ca or Mg, that's about it. Other types of failures are extremely rare with this machine.

As for your portafilter, Breville sells them directly, spouted or naked, your choice: https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... ES920.html

This portafilter is solid stainless steel. Not plated brass.

Some people have reported that they can use the Breville portafilter in their La Marzocco machines. It might work the other way too, but I cannot confirm this.

-Peter
LMWDP #553