Sage/Breville Barista Pro dialing in

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ClaraMJ

#1: Post by ClaraMJ »

Hi all,

I just bought a Sage Barista Pro a few weeks ago, and I'm fairly new at brewing espresso at home.

I am having a lot of trouble dialing in my espresso machine ..... I feel like I've tried to follow all the various tutorials but no matter what I do I get the same result. I have my inner burrs grinder setting at the standard 6, start at the medium 15 to dial in. I'm using freshly roasted coffee beans from Common Man Coffee Roasters, always 18 g, and I try to tamp consistently. When I'm at grinder setting 15 hardly anything comes out of the machine. Then I try to set it at 20, and then I just pours way too fast and is sour. Then I try 17 and it pours just as fast as 20, if not faster, and tastes just as sour. Then I go back to 15 and it still pours way too fast, then I go to 13 and it seems to pour the right amount, but it tastes sour, and if I go to 12, nothing comes out.

I'm super duper confused on what I'm doing wrong. No matter what I do it all tastes sour. From all the tutorials people end up adjusting their inner burrs to be finer, and still end up at an outer grinder setting of 7, but if I do that, I only get a few drops of espresso ...

Hope someone can help me :-)

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Are you doing at least 2, maybe 3 brews after each change you make?
Since a 13 setting seems to have been close to the right flow rate, brew a couple more. The first shot you made at 13 was a mix of 13 and whatever was still in the grinder chute from the previous setting. If the flow rate stays good (or at least stops changing) then make minor adjustments from there.

Regarding it tasting sour, regardless of all other factors, if you stick your finger into the stream as it is dispensing, is it hot enough to hurt? There's more than one flavour of "sour" that can be attributed to coffee, but the really common "Sour" is when the brewhead and/or water is not hot enough. Perhaps not the issue in a Barista pro which I expect heats its brewhead.

The above is all very generic advice. I am not particularly familiar with any Breville machines. This is merely sharing the experience of learning to and teaching people to dial in their grinder for their machines.