Rumour of Dual Boiler, PID, Rotary Vibiemme: appears to be true - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cedar (original poster)

#21: Post by cedar (original poster) »

thanks for the updates Terry and Jim.

Do either of you have an rough idea of what the prices might be for these three models?

jesawdy

#22: Post by jesawdy »

These are interesting developments. Seems to me that Vibiemme will have a machine to fit most everyones desires in the Domobar lineup... provided you can accommodate the somewhat large footprint.

I noticed that the prototype boiler looks to be the same as the Quick Mill Alexia boiler...

Quick Mill Alexia boiler left, Vibiemme dual boiler prototype right
Jeff Sawdy

luca
Team HB

#23: Post by luca »

I noticed that the prototype boiler looks to be the same as the Quick Mill Alexia boiler...
Someone's on the ball! Looks identical, doesn't it - right down to the way that one of the ports on the Vibiemme is blocked off by a nut.
Seems to me that Vibiemme will have a machine to fit most everyones desires in the Domobar lineup... provided you can accommodate the somewhat large footprint.
I'll be very interested to see how this dual boiler machine performs when and if we see it. The cynic in me can't help but feel that every man and his dog is jumping on the dual boiler bandwagon. The optimist in me can't help but feel that we might be starting to see some prosumer machines that are pushing the envelope.

Cheers,

Luca
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

1st-line
Sponsor

#24: Post by 1st-line »

cedar wrote:thanks for the updates Terry and Jim.

Do either of you have an rough idea of what the prices might be for these three models?
Sorry, prices have not yet been established.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

1st-line
Sponsor

#25: Post by 1st-line »

jesawdy wrote:These are interesting developments. Seems to me that Vibiemme will have a machine to fit most everyones desires in the Domobar lineup... provided you can accommodate the somewhat large footprint.

<image> <image>
Quick Mill Alexia boiler left, Vibiemme dual boiler prototype right
Just to note, many manufacturers source parts from similar suppliers who make valves, boilers, electronic brain units, etc. In this case, the steam boiler on the Vibiemme double boiler PID is similar to the coffee boiler of the Alexia.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

cannonfodder
Team HB

#26: Post by cannonfodder »

Jim got it, I was going to point out that the boiler in the foreground is piped into the steam wand, the one in the background would be the brew boiler, and it looks to be substantially larger. On the steam boiler I see the over temperature breaker, gauge capillary tube, solenoid auto fill but no pressurestat. I wonder if it will thermostat, PID or pressurestat controlled?

It looks like they retained the existing OPV but in a vertical arrangement. That would make adjusting it a bit harder if it goes into production like that with a water reservoir. You would have to remove the inner shroud to make an adjustment. On the rotary versions, the inner shroud is not there.

The boiler to steam valve line is huge, that looks like it could steam a half gallon of milk, wouldn"t mind playing with one. I cannot be certain without another view, but it looks like the water tap may be fed from the brew boiler?

Edit, on second thought, I see a second line running from the top of the steam boiler, that could be a water tap or pressurestat line. The line at the bottom of the steam boiler appears to be the fill line.
Dave Stephens

pauljolly65

#27: Post by pauljolly65 »

cedar wrote:You can see the PID display between the gauges. (photo credits to Terry Z)
Thanks for uploading those two photos...though I had to look at Terry's Flickr photos and go dream-walking through the Milan event. Man, that looks like fun.

But here's what I'm wondering: how long will a PID last at that location? That's one of the hottest parts of the facing on my VBM...which leaves me thinking that the electronics in the PID will be nicely cooked, and that right soon. Someone who knows more than me, please chime in!

Cheers,
Paul

Randy G.

#28: Post by Randy G. »

pauljolly65 wrote:But here's what I'm wondering: how long will a PID last at that location?
VBM's sensibility with component placement shown in the current models would lead me to believe that the production model will deal with that. The easiest solution would be to place the electronics at the bottom of the machine and just have the display and control buttons on the panel.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

cafeIKE

#29: Post by cafeIKE replying to Randy G. »

If one examines the 2nd photo here one can see the ribbon cable to the display and buttons as Randy surmises.

Section cropped.
The grey ribbon with the red stripe behind and to the right of the blue wires is the connection from the PID to the display.

One needs to remember that Vibiemme has been making professional machines for over 30 years.

1st-line
Sponsor

#30: Post by 1st-line »

cedar wrote:thanks for the updates Terry and Jim.

Just a quick update and to make sure there is no confusion....

There will be three Vibiemme Domobar Super models slated for 2008...

A) Vibe pump PID-controlled dual boiler tank model Vibiemme now slated for early spring introduction
B) Rotary vane pump heat exchange boiler with direct water connect Vibiemme now slated for early spring introduction
C) Rotary vane pump PID-controlled dual boiler with direct water connect Vibiemme slated for the latter part of 2008

We have decided to delay the introduction of the first two models as 1st-line and Vibiemme have both agreed there should be further enhancements to make these models very competitive in terms of price, performance, and value vs. expectations of the HB community.

Prices have still not been determined due to the following reasons:

A) Prices for components at a mass level have not been determined nor negotiated yet with suppliers,
B) The Euro-Dollar exchange rate, as well as the cost of metals, have a large play in determining prices.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC