Rumour of Dual Boiler, PID, Rotary Vibiemme: appears to be true - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Rocket Coffee

#11: Post by Rocket Coffee »

I found a couple of pics on one of our site sponsors flickr...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/w1r3d1/page2/

Image#4799 &#4800 I believe.

cedar (original poster)

#12: Post by cedar (original poster) »

These two, I think. You can see the PID display between the gauges. (photo credits to Terry Z)

I suppose a production version might be less spaghetti-ish inside.

cheers,

PS: there are other pictures worth looking at on Terry's flickr site

cedar (original poster)

#13: Post by cedar (original poster) »

Isn't that an Ulka vibe pump in the front though?

Beezer

#14: Post by Beezer »

Very interesting. Looks like they took the Domobar Super body and crammed two boilers and a PID into it. Kind of like what Expobar did with the Brewtus.

I agree that it looks like they're using a vibe pump, though maybe this is just a prototype and the production model has a rotary pump. The boilers look sort of small too. Still, it looks like a nice alternative to the current dual boiler choices.

I'll be interested in hearing what the price is, and when it will be available here in the US. I'm guessing it'll cost north of $2 grand.
Lock and load!

MarkD

#15: Post by MarkD »

Wow, what a beauty compared to the Brewtus ;) I really like the way they designed the placement and buttons of the PID. I think I've just seen my upgrade path become clearer.

MellowCat

#16: Post by MellowCat »

thanks for the pics.
How would the flushing routine be affected on such a machine?

Compass Coffee

#17: Post by Compass Coffee replying to MellowCat »

Most DB machines simply require a group stabilizing flush from idle varying from 1 to 4 or so ounces depending on group/plumbing design. For instance old style Linea AV requires about 4oz flush from idle to warm up the plumbing running out from the saturated group to the AV meter and back in for the shot. Once in production mode zero flushing for temp required. Home use you'll likely always need a short pre-shot group stablizing flush. Big thing it's not like counting down from flash for temp etc. like with an HX, just getting the group and associated plumbing fully up to temp from idle.
Mike McGinness

Caffewerks

#18: Post by Caffewerks »

I will let Jim P. speak for the import details but in conversation with the owner of Vibiemme, it is a for sure deal for the dual boiler PID machine. The machine at the show was simply a mock up of what it will look like but the rest of the details are unclear at the moment.

The most exciting news is that there are several machine producers that are moving forward with new designs. Good stuff for all.

keepitsimple

#19: Post by keepitsimple »

MellowCat wrote:thanks for the pics.
How would the flushing routine be affected on such a machine?
It's the opposite to the cooling flush on an Hx machine. What you aim to do is make sure the brewing components are up to temperature, rather than cooling the overheated water from an hx down to just the right point.

If you're making espressos one after another in quick succesion, you don't need to bother, but if you are using one intermittently, then you do.

What makes it easy, is that you can't really overflush, as you can't get the machine higher than a specified temperature, so there isn't any of the counting/watching the stream and stopping the flush at the right moment as you have with many domestic hx machines.

As a matter of habit, I tend to hit the double espresso button on mine, and let the water flow though while I'm grinding the shot, even when it sometimes isn't really necessary.

1st-line
Sponsor

#20: Post by 1st-line »

terryz wrote:I will let Jim P. speak for the import details but in conversation with the owner of Vibiemme, it is a for sure deal for the dual boiler PID machine. The machine at the show was simply a mock up of what it will look like but the rest of the details are unclear at the moment.

The most exciting news is that there are several machine producers that are moving forward with new designs. Good stuff for all.
Terry,

Thanks. A small number of the following units is slated for delivery at the end of this year:

a) Vibiemme PID dual boiler espresso machine - the design of this espresso machine was implemented in early 2006, and

b) A direct connect rotary vane Vibiemme HX espresso machine - the design of this espresso machine was implemented in late 2006.

For 2008, there will be a direct connect, rotary-vane pump PID double boiler model available - ultimately a combo unit of a and b above. Currently, specs are not available. My apologies.

Yes, I agree with others that Vibiemme does not have dual boiler experience like some other companies, but they do spend the time in designing and testing products before launching them into the international marketplace. They even send out some prototypes before a full launch.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC