Rotary pump cup clarity achievable with a mod ? - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#21: Post by Abe Carmeli »

FXDXT wrote: This is not a true statement for all E61 rotary pump machine.
When I adjust the pressure on my Lyra the pressure starts off slowly and increases in speed until it reaches 130 psi. This action takes about 7 to 9 seconds, if memory services me correctly. I am not using a cheap gauge. My current set up is an Ashcroft test gauge. http://www.ashcroft.com/products.cfm?doc_id=117

Is this not preinfusion?????
I'd say it is one hell of preinfusion. This is not the case with The Brewtus. The Brewtus preinfusion with a vibe pump is 5 seconds. With a rotary - 2 secs. It may depend on the rotary and motor used as well. I am not sure.
Abe Carmeli

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#22: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Well I got to looking around while my server crunches a bit. There seems to be two extremes in suggested price. Barry puts it at around 150 and Abe at 400+, so I did a bit of googling. I can get the procon pump in the 120 range, but that is just the pump. A good heavy motor adds quite a bit more. That may be where the discrepancy between the two prices is coming from, one is just pump, the other pump and motor. Then fittings etc... so while it may be possible to convert my Isomac from a vibe to rotary pump, the cost would be an inhibiting factor. By the time I got all of the parts, I could have sold my Millennium and got a Wega (damn you JonR10, I was perfectly happy with my little machine until I saw that beast you just got :twisted: ).

Another upgrade for another day.
:cry:

barry

#23: Post by barry »

cannonfodder wrote: A good heavy motor adds quite a bit more.
motors are in the $80 range at grainger.

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#24: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Hmmm, I have a business account with Grainger...

Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#25: Post by Abe Carmeli »

barry wrote:i suggest you consider different equipment sources.
Suggestion marked and noted. :wink:
Abe Carmeli

DavidMLewis

#26: Post by DavidMLewis »

AndyS wrote:Bill Crossland from ESI said that the automatic Lineas shipped without gicleurs, but the semiauto Lineas generally had them. Presumably this was because if you were a semiauto barista, you cared.
Hi Andy,

I think it's actually because in the semi-auto there isn't a piece of tubing going outside the group through a flowmeter. I believe Bill felt that with the slower flow from the gicleur, the dwell time outside the group allowed too much cooling. Obviously, once the flow is restricted by the puck this is no longer germane.

Best,
David

AndyS

#27: Post by AndyS »

DavidMLewis wrote:I think it's actually because in the semi-auto there isn't a piece of tubing going outside the group through a flowmeter.
In the semi-auto there's a piece of tubing going outside the group to the 3-way.
DavidMLewis wrote:I believe Bill felt that with the slower flow from the gicleur, the dwell time outside the group allowed too much cooling. Obviously, once the flow is restricted by the puck this is no longer germane.
I don't think so. With the gicleur, the flow is only slower for a couple seconds, not enough time to make a difference. I got the impression from Bill that the machines were selling to distinct groups of customers. The vast majority of the AVs were selling to Starbucks. Why put in a gicleur, which eventually may clog and require maintenance, when the customer didn't care about the subtleties?
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

malachi

#28: Post by malachi »

The explanation I was given was that the gicleurs were considered more likely to clog in high-volume environments where machine maintainence was not "top notch" and as a result were not used in the auto machines as they were being deployed in such an environment.

I got a huge load of grief/concern when I called ESI to get the smaller size gicleurs for the semi-auto for that very reason.
What's in the cup is what matters.