Rocket Giotto with high steam boiler pressure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JM79

#1: Post by JM79 »

I purchase a Rocket Giotto Premium II in January 2011. It has been working great since then. Last week I noticed that or start up the pressure went to 2.5 Bars and didn't relieve to between 1 and 1.5 bars. I performed a de scaling and now on start up the pressure goes above 2 Bars and doesn't go down. I called 1st-Line Equipment (the company that I purchased the machine from) and they suggested that I bring the machine and have their Tech take a look at it. I would like some suggestions from someone before I bring it it. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be going on?

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Some possibilities are:
1. Bad pressurestat
2. Clogged pressurestat pipe
3. Bad gauge (unlikely)

A shop can check all of this very efficiently, so taking it in would be your best option unless you're handy and want to learn to maintain and fix your own machine.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

JM79 (original poster)

#3: Post by JM79 (original poster) »

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate the help. I consider myself very handy and I would definitely like to attempt to make the repair however I feel as though I would need to purchase the parts that are possibly failing before I attempt the fix. My opinion would be to remove the cover and document the pressurestat type then locate the pressurestat pipe. Can you advise on the best way to clean a pipe after removal?

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

JM79 wrote:I purchase a Rocket Giotto Premium II in January 2011.
Depending on usage, five years isn't a bad run for a pressurestat.
JM79 wrote:Last week I noticed that or start up the pressure went to 2.5 Bars...
What you describe is the classic description of a pressurestat failing closed. Search on "sticky pressurestat" for similar reports. Below is my reply on the subject:
HB wrote:Pressurestat contacts may overheat and stick together (fail closed). Or the contacts may be coated with carbon (fail open). The diaphragm may harden (fail open). The Sirai pressurestats have rebuild kits; all others I'm familiar with are replace-only. Pressurestats are a wear item and will eventually need replacing.
See How to adjust an espresso machine pressurestat for hints on identifying your espresso machine's pressurestat type (probably a MATER). While you have it apart, confirm the tubing leading to the pressurestat isn't clogged. If it is, a quick soak in descaler is all that's required. If you're handy, it will take less than an hour. IIRC, for the Giotto, taking off the cover is the most time consuming step. :lol:
Dan Kehn