Rocket Appartamento - Pre-wet possible?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
coolguy121

#1: Post by coolguy121 »

First of all, thanks for stopping by! I saw videos online even specifically on Rocket Appartamento on WLL that can do pre-wetting by lifting lever halfway + a little push.

When I tried it, half way point turned on pump at half power with no water output, but a little push makes pump operate at full pressure and maximum flow (see video link below).

Is there something can be done on my end to enable pre-wet?

Thanks much! Appreciate the help :D

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I don't have an Appartamento to check, but on other E61s I've used, you can adjust the distance between the plunger on the switch that activates the pump and the cam (one nut on the outside, one nut on the inside). Looks like yours would need to be moved back a little. Don't have big expectations for "pre-wet" though (see The Secret Life of Ristrettos for one of my early looks at pre-pre-infusion).
Dan Kehn

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

As Dan mentioned, yes, you can adjust the brew switch back into the machine slightly so that the lever comes up a bit higher and opens the brew valve BEFORE the switch powers the pump. Then raising the lever to the point where the pump runs for a moment and lowering the lever to stop the pump while still letting the water in the brew circuit to escape into the coffee grounds will pre-wet the prep. It's not the same as the pre-infusion you get with a plumbed in machine, but it's enough to make a difference.

coolguy121 (original poster)

#4: Post by coolguy121 (original poster) »

Thanks HB & JRising for helping out with this. Will try out to adjust the plunger as advised.

coolguy121 (original poster)

#5: Post by coolguy121 (original poster) »

HB wrote:I don't have an Appartamento to check, but on other E61s I've used, you can adjust the distance between the plunger on the switch that activates the pump and the cam (one nut on the outside, one nut on the inside). Looks like yours would need to be moved back a little. Don't have big expectations for "pre-wet" though (see The Secret Life of Ristrettos for one of my early looks at pre-pre-infusion).
Do you by any chance have any pointer to a video or tutorial on adjusting them? I'm not the most mechanically intuitive, ha!

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Sorry, no.
Dan Kehn

JRising
Team HB

#7: Post by JRising »

With the machine un-plugged and cooled off, take the top off and look inside. (Remove the 2 allen screws in the front top divots, and the 2 philips screws under the reservoir, the top and reservoir carrier will come off together).

The body of the switch is threaded. Sometimes they're held with 2 nuts, sometimes only a nut on the front and a washer behind the wall. Adjust the nuts forward to move the switch backward, or vice-versa. A thicker or thinner washer if there's no nut behind the wall.