Rocket Appartamento descaling?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kalebgriffin

#1: Post by kalebgriffin »

Hello,

I just purchased a Rocket Appartamento. I know most people, including Seattle Coffee Gear whom I purchased from, say not to descale at home and to pay to have a professional do it. Is that just a ploy for them to get money by sending your machine in? Can you really perform descale at home? I have seen another dealer on YouTube descale a heat exchanger quite similar to the Rocket and it looks fairly simple.

I do plan to use good filtered water and an in reservoir ion exchange filter to help cut down on scale buildup as well. How often have you had to descale your Rocket machine?

JRising

#2: Post by JRising »

I have and will continue to suggest not doing a harsh descale unless there's an issue you're trying to deal with.
Check the hardness of your water, "Good filtered water" obviously doesn't matter, your machine isn't tasting it.
If it's hard, then do use the ion exchange softener in the reservoir, it can't hurt, and better water softeners aren't convenient without a plumbed in machine.
Lastly, do a mild descale every year or couple of years just to see what comes out. If it comes out looking clear like very little happened to the acid as it passed through, then don't worry about descaling more often. If it comes out cloudy and/or colourful like it reacted with a lot of minerals in there, follow it up with a more aggressive, more concentrated descale.
You can also just remove the top of your E61 head and look at the deposits on the surface of the brew valve and the mushroom to get an idea of what the rest of the brass in the brew circuit looks like.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

JRising wrote:You can also just remove the top of your E61 head and look at the deposits on the surface of the brew valve and the mushroom to get an idea of what the rest of the brass in the brew circuit looks like.
For easy reference: Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale.
Dan Kehn

Nubster

#4: Post by Nubster »

kalebgriffin wrote:Hello,

I just purchased a Rocket Appartamento. I know most people, including Seattle Coffee Gear whom I purchased from, say not to descale at home and to pay to have a professional do it. Is that just a ploy for them to get money by sending your machine in? Can you really perform descale at home? I have seen another dealer on YouTube descale a heat exchanger quite similar to the Rocket and it looks fairly simple.

I do plan to use good filtered water and an in reservoir ion exchange filter to help cut down on scale buildup as well. How often have you had to descale your Rocket machine?
Pretty sure the whole not descaling at home is in regards to double boiler machines due to not easily being able to purge all the descaling chemicals from the steam boiler. Single boiler and HX machines aren't an issue to descale at home. Whole Latte Love does tons of repairs on machines but they advocate and even have a video showing how to descale a HX machine.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Speaking of videos...
Dan Kehn