Review of the Decent Espresso DE1+PRO - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
r7

#31: Post by r7 »

As a new DE1+ owner here are some of my early observations:

I had quit making espresso at home several years ago due to the frustration and difficuly in attaining consistency with consumer grade equipment. The DE1+ interface allows you to observe pressure, flow and temperature simultaneously while waiting for and watching the flow begin at the bottom of the portafilter basket; all from a single observation point. So far, I have done very little experimenting with different profiles. The feedback is invaluable. Being able to see the relationship between flow and pressure through both preinfusion and extraction has been a revelation. A change in the grind is immediately reflected in the data stream in your next pull. The temperature stability is very solid and knowing that it is sensed at the top of the puck interface gives confidence. For a quick Americano before work, I can have it deliver a precisely specified amount of water at a specified temperature of choice. I believe it has the potential to rapidly accelerate the learning curve. It may take a long time to scratch the surface of the many features and capabilities.

jeffg2020

#32: Post by jeffg2020 »

billt wrote:
4 - It's a lot cheaper than a LM etc (at the moment, but I suspect that might change) - it doesn't have to be better, just comparable which it is claimed to be.
If he can do it, fair dinkum. You're right: he explicitly compares shot quality to the LM Strada EP. The touchscreen remains a turn-off to me: I have a sentimental attachment to the traditional look and feel of espresso machines. Perfectly willing to admit that's irrational. But I'm pretty sure I'd get over that if I could get for $2500 the shot quality of a $20,000 machine. I also try not to buy stuff w/ low serial numbers, but I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

RyanP

#33: Post by RyanP »

billt wrote:1 - it promises consistent, high quality coffee with a single button push - very similar convenience to a capsule machine but producing high quality coffee.
I think that's a bit misleading. That comparison doesn't make any sense. The convenience of a capsule machine is inserting a capsule into the machine and hitting the button. No grinding, weighing, distributing, tamping... the DE1 is still an espresso machine that requires a capable grinder and barista.

pcrussell50

#34: Post by pcrussell50 »

jeffg2020 wrote:If he can do it, [perform like a La Marzocco] fair dinkum. You're right: he explicitly compares shot quality to the LM Strada EP. The touchscreen remains a turn-off to me...
Most of what the old guard machines (besides romantic aesthetics), have to offer is thermal stability: large boilers, saturated brew groups, etc... If you can live without having full control over pre infusion, (I can't), and DE can also offer the same or better thermal stability, then it comes down to aesthetics, and whether that is enough to justify double to triple the price of a DE.

At the same time, my current machine gives me saturated brew group temperature stability and fully programmable pre infusion, is easy to maintain and appears to last a long time. So along the lines of the bloke from the UK a few posts ago who uses Windows computers, why change? Actually I like the idea of all the data and
control parameters DE offers. If my machine ever craps out and DE is still around at the time, I could see going that way.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

jdomg

#35: Post by jdomg »

Is anyone still looking for more information/reviews? I received my DE1PRO a little over a week ago now (no plumbing kit yet).

ncrc51

#36: Post by ncrc51 »

The more consumer reviews the better.

MB

#37: Post by MB »

jdomg wrote:Is anyone still looking for more information/reviews? I received my DE1PRO a little over a week ago now (no plumbing kit yet).
Yes, please. I scour the forum for DE1+ stuff, but it seems owners have dived into the abyss of use, never to return.
LMWDP #472

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#38: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'm going to be adding more, but with a focus on lighter roast extractions. I'm waiting for another delivery to arrive shortly.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Rytopa

#39: Post by Rytopa »

Just feel free to ask any questions regarding the DE1, i am pretty sure there are many DE1 owners like myself who will reply.

I think many owners for the DE1 like myself had great ambitions to review the unit, but after using the machine, its like " Wow, how do i start?", its like reviewing an operating system, ie: Win 10, Andriod OS etc, the scope is really big, the capabilities of this machine is endless.

Currently some of us are playing with pauses (10-30s) after fully saturating the puck, Scott has written briefly about this method in his IG. This method alone has a crazy amount of variability. How much preinfusion and flowrate, at what back pressure should i start the pause, after the pause should i do pressure profling or flow profiling, what temp should i continue at, etc etc.

In summary, after owning the machine for a few months, i have been constantly pulling great shots daily (average :2-3 shots) with no technical issues at all, the short warm up time and temp stability is top notch. i have friends coming over for espresso parties, the machine just keeps banging out consistent shots, shots after shots with graphs to prove it. I have totally no regret jumping in early on the DE1 bandwagon.

shawndo

#40: Post by shawndo »

I've been in/out of keeping up with this. I wanted there to be some reviews and general availability before i get too excited.
Am i correct in understanding the plumbed version is not available for yet?
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra