Review of the Decent Espresso DE1+PRO - Page 23

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rimblas

#221: Post by rimblas »

It would be super interesting to hear about your tests. I wonder what type of bean benefits from such a long extraction.

Another thing to watch for, which may not be an issue at all, is temperature control. Consistent temp for the duration may work correctly, but it's very hard to vary the water temp at sush slow flows.

Maybe some other DE owners have done some testing with slow flows and long pours

roastini

#222: Post by roastini »

CwD wrote:If the pump can stand up to doing this regularly without breaking, it sounds like it could do what I'm looking for time wise. Although at only .1ml/s and not .01ml/s I'm not so sure about being able to do what I want, since ten minutes would be 60ml flow instead of 30ml.
The duty cycle for the pumps is something like 1 min on, followed by 1 minute off. But that assumes full power - 50/60Hz. At a slow flow, the pump is running nowhere near that rate, so can operate indefinitely.

ttttt91

#223: Post by ttttt91 »

Hi folks

just wanted to add my 2 cents

First thing first, the company as a whole is amazing to deal with. Just outstanding customer service in every respect!! (I work myself in this area and know how difficult this is).

Regarding the machine itself:
I am really not a very experienced barista and re-starting the hobby on a Silvia last year was a very interesting learning curve. The DE1 makes it SO MUCH MORE pleasurable and successful than working with the Silvia. Better, faster, easier. What should I say. Its a great product made by phenomenal people.

I can't compare to a E61 or so. But one thing I can say for sure. The heat-up time is so much shorter. So its very economical and still fast and easy to make a high-end espresso. Keeping a traditional machine running just to have one shot after dinner?? hmmm....

Yes, Im a fan boy now as the whole concept just delivered on the promises. And improvements are made as we speak as firmware and hardware gets constantly improved.

Go, get one ;-)

Best regards
Tom

dfrench200

#224: Post by dfrench200 »

After loving my QM Alexia for years, I finally decided to upgrade to the Vetrano... until I read this thread! I'm a bit of a tech head and now I need to begin my research again. Thanks for all of them comments and info!

JayBeck

#225: Post by JayBeck »

ttttt91 wrote:Hi folks

just wanted to add my 2 cents

First thing first, the company as a whole is amazing to deal with. Just outstanding customer service in every respect!! (I work myself in this area and know how difficult this is).

Regarding the machine itself:
I am really not a very experienced barista and re-starting the hobby on a Silvia last year was a very interesting learning curve. The DE1 makes it SO MUCH MORE pleasurable and successful than working with the Silvia. Better, faster, easier. What should I say. Its a great product made by phenomenal people.

I can't compare to a E61 or so. But one thing I can say for sure. The heat-up time is so much shorter. So its very economical and still fast and easy to make a high-end espresso. Keeping a traditional machine running just to have one shot after dinner?? hmmm....

Yes, Im a fan boy now as the whole concept just delivered on the promises. And improvements are made as we speak as firmware and hardware gets constantly improved.

Go, get one ;-)

Best regards
Tom
Welcome! I agree -- leaving a machine with a boiler on all day for 2-4 shots per day seems silly (plus if it's an E61 it's heating up the kitchen). Just today a co-worker and I went out for lunch then I took him by the 'coffee shop' (aka my house because we were near by) and I told him I'd make him the best cappuccino of his life. Pulled a 1.5 ratio Olympia Little Buddy Shot and steamed him 4 ounces of milk. He fell out of the chair it was so good -- had never had anything like that. One of the coolest parts was the 4 minute warm up. By the time I had beans weighed and explained the uniqueness of the machine we were ready to pull shots. After we were done a quick flush and put the machine back into sleep. So efficient.

rimblas

#226: Post by rimblas »

JayBeck wrote:By the time I had beans weighed and explained the uniqueness of the machine we were ready to pull shots. After we were done a quick flush and put the machine back into sleep. So efficient.
It's super nice that it warms up so fast, but I know it took you way more than 4 min to talk about the uniqueness of the machine. :lol:

JayBeck

#227: Post by JayBeck replying to rimblas »

You would be correct :D

JayBeck

#228: Post by JayBeck »

dfrench200 wrote:After loving my QM Alexia for years, I finally decided to upgrade to the Vetrano... until I read this thread! I'm a bit of a tech head and now I need to begin my research again. Thanks for all of them comments and info!
Feel free to ask me any questions abut the machine. I feel confident in telling you that you will get way more out of the DE1 than a dual boiler E61. With you being a tech head once you have the control and information the DE1 gives you, you'll be shocked how you ever lived without it, how much you'll learn, and how much better your coffee will taste on a CONSISTENT basis.

Jetgator

#229: Post by Jetgator »

DE1 owners:How much water are you going through in a day, week, month for whatever your daily routine is?
It seems good water is crucial to longevity in a machine that is built like the DE1.
I currently have a plumbed hx machine with filtration but wonder if I might be better off just using the reservoir vs replacing a filter every year for the 2-4 times a day I use my machine

Cnthinkoname

#230: Post by Cnthinkoname replying to Jetgator »

~2 gal/week, but I'm also drinking much more coffee than I normally do (3-5 a day) fiddling with the machine. I've been using third wave packets and distilled water but read that isn't ideal, so I'll have to do some research once I go through the packets.