Review of the Decent Espresso DE1+PRO - Page 22

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DJF

#211: Post by DJF »

JonF wrote:Kudos again for a great review and thread. I really think the DE1 Pro would be a great fit for me. Bugs me that they charge your card before even having stock, but I can live with that---they seem very very trustworthy.

For me the pluses are:
1. Easy to change profiles. Perfect for my hobby. (more on this below)
2. Logical controls (at least to me, LOL. And I learned to program on punch cards!)
3. Form factor. We have a nice but small kitchen.
4. Quick warmup. I don't want to wait 45 minutes for an e61 to warm up. I also just can't see me having a large boiler warm all day just to have a quick doppio.

More on profiles: I can change options on even on my Vivaldi, but it's a project. Most have easy control on temp (the LMLM is perhaps the easiest). Pressure usually gets a little tougher. Pre infusion time and pressure also can be kind of annoying to change.

Hobbiest: I know this really varies between enthusiast. My approach is to have a major grinder (K10 Fresh) for breakfast, where I have an Americano and my wife has a large latte, and also for casual espresso fixes. I keep RedBird Blue Jaguar espresso in the short hopper. But I will order a HG-1 when back in stock and start playing with recommendations from our Coffee Forum. So I see my plan with a DE as finding my favorite profile for RedBird and then trying options for my new coffee finds.

By the way, the Vivaldi hits quite a few of these points. About 15 minute to warm up, Large, logical controls. Easy to shut off steam boiler. Line-level pre infusion with adjustable time. But making changes to most of the brew parameters is neither quick nor convenient. And any type of profiling is, of course, not an option.
Just be aware that after you get a DE everything else may well become redundant, or at least idle for extended periods. :D
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

JonF

#212: Post by JonF replying to DJF »

Yup, empty the boilers on the Vivaldi and keep in the basement for backup. Right now my Livia 90 is serving this role. Cheers!

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#213: Post by DucaiMann »

RyanP wrote:I'm definitely interested to pair one next to the Strietman CT1. It does the pressure profiling and variable preinfusion with ease, but I want to play with a machine where you can see the data and change variables with the click of a button. Maybe I'm missing out on better espresso? More consistently excellent espresso? Better understanding of good and bad espressos by reading the data after a shot? Or maybe not, but only one way to find out!
I ordered a Pro and my friend has the Streitman. We will definitely be doing some serious testing between the two!

JayBeck

#214: Post by JayBeck replying to DucaiMann »

Welcome to the club!

DucaiMann
Supporter ♡

#215: Post by DucaiMann replying to JayBeck »

Thanks Jay!

I'll definitely be reaching out. I'm a small roaster in ATX and figured it makes sense to buy the machine that can show the best in the roasts, as well as profiles for different machines.

Thanks for all your input already!

CwD

#216: Post by CwD »

Question on the Decent: how long and slowly can the pump run for?

I've been waiting for Duvall's FC-1 machine to be released because of the pumpless design allowing absurdly low flow rates. But I don't know if it's actually necessary for what I want to do.

Basically I quite like pulling shots of ~1:2 over 2 minutes on the CT1, and would like to experiment with double digit times, but it's not super feasible for needing to slowly manually press something for ten minutes.

The goal being to get fruit sludge of >20% TDS. Not extraction, TDS.

ShelbiRyan

#217: Post by ShelbiRyan replying to CwD »

Imagine a single group Duvall FC-1 for home use..... :shock:

jdomg

#218: Post by jdomg »

CwD wrote:Question on the Decent: how long and slowly can the pump run for?

I've been waiting for Duvall's FC-1 machine to be released because of the pumpless design allowing absurdly low flow rates. But I don't know if it's actually necessary for what I want to do.

Basically I quite like pulling shots of ~1:2 over 2 minutes on the CT1, and would like to experiment with double digit times, but it's not super feasible for needing to slowly manually press something for ten minutes.

You can set it to 0.1ml/s and the "max" time can be more than 2 minutes.

rimblas

#219: Post by rimblas »

CwD wrote:Question on the Decent: how long and slowly can the pump run for?

That's not a problem. We have several members pulling shots like that where they keep the flow around 0.5 ml/s
jdomg wrote:You can set it to 0.1ml/s and the "max" time can be more than 2 minutes.
And with the Advance editor you can set 20 steps of 127s, so how does a 42 min shot sound? :shock:

CwD

#220: Post by CwD »

ShelbiRyan wrote:Imagine a single group Duvall FC-1 for home use..... :shock:
I have confirmed with them that they are making a single group.
rimblas wrote:And with the Advance editor you can set 20 steps of 127s, so how does a 42 min shot sound? :shock:
If the pump can stand up to doing this regularly without breaking, it sounds like it could do what I'm looking for time wise. Although at only .1ml/s and not .01ml/s I'm not so sure about being able to do what I want, since ten minutes would be 60ml flow instead of 30ml.

I'll have to suck it up and experiment with ten+ minute shots on the Strietman to see if it's a worthwhile set of experimentation to pursue. Because if not, the other features the DE offers appeal to me more than an extra order of magnitude toward flow control but missing the extras.