Review of the Decent Espresso DE1+PRO - Page 15

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
gmontem

#141: Post by gmontem »

JayBeck wrote:I ordered Sept 1st. Grrr! I have been emailing her. No idea what the hold up is.
Did you place an order for a 1.1 version or the limited-run 1.0 version of the PRO model? Hopefully you did not order the 1.1 version by mistake. Those will cost you more and will not start shipping until October.

JayBeck

#142: Post by JayBeck replying to gmontem »

It was a v1.0 and it will be Monday. Woohoo!

speedplay

#143: Post by speedplay replying to JayBeck »

Did you get your machine yet?
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive by tomorrow.

JayBeck

#144: Post by JayBeck replying to speedplay »

I did. Information overload right now but overall very pleasant first impressions!

Iowa_Boy

#145: Post by Iowa_Boy »

JayBeck wrote:I did. Information overload right now but overall very pleasant first impressions!
<image>
Looking forward to hearing more!

r7

#146: Post by r7 »

JayBeck wrote:I did. Information overload right now but overall very pleasant first impressions!

Hey Jayson, lots of fun to come with your new machine. I have a similar setup. Is that a palm tamper or a type of OCD device in the picture?

LA

#147: Post by LA »

I've had a DE1+ v1.0 for a few months now, and it's been a very good experience. With my old Gaggia Classic, I often produced espressos that were unpleasantly sour for my taste. Since I suspect temperature as a main culprit, I experimented with temperature surfing but without much change.

Despite the endless possibilities of the DE1, my procedure is pretty standard so far, pre-infusion at a flow rate of 3-4ml/sec until the pressure reaches 4 bar, then 8-9 bar for about 10 sec and then some decline in pressure to 6bar. My main variation is temperature, and that's been quite satisfying with reproducible changes in flavor. Initially, I did try a bunch of the programmed profiles, based on flow instead of pressure or changing temperature during extraction, but for now it's more than I can evaluate in a useful way.

After a couple of wonderfully fruity espressos (a first for me) with beans that I suspect would have been unpleasant with my Gaggia (a Yiracheffe from RedBird), my machine died. I checked a couple of things based on help from the Decent message board and emails with John, but unfortunately nothing obvious was broken. For a week, I went back to the Gaggia and got unremarkable or fairly bad espressos with those beans, noticeably different from the DE1.

Incredibly, Decent sent a new machine before I could even return my old one, and the new one is going strong.

I was certainly a bit worried while waiting for my first machine and reading from others who expressed reasonable concerns about buying an unproven machine from an unproven company. I am also not at all an early adopter of technology and not particularly interested in the tablet, the recipes-saving and -sharing possibilities, and I do not follow the many things explored on the Decent message board. But I like that I can see and easily control temperature, pressure and flow rate and that these measurements seem reliable. With that and the service Decent offers, I could not be happier.

r7

#148: Post by r7 »

LA wrote:Despite the endless possibilities of the DE1, my procedure is pretty standard so far, pre-infusion at a flow rate of 3-4ml/sec until the pressure reaches 4 bar, then 8-9 bar for about 10 sec and then some decline in pressure to 6bar... I am also not at all an early adopter of technology and not particularly interested in the tablet... I like that I can see and easily control temperature, pressure and flow rate and that these measurements seem reliable. With that and the service Decent offers, I could not be happier.

Nice to hear you got great service. Having followed the DE adventure for a long time now, I am not surprised.

I have really been enjoying the machine as well. The excerpts quoted above could just as well have been written by me. I am also using a similar pressure profile and testing temperature variations. I have played with the flow profiles but they are much harder to dial, so for me they are just fun experiments. I tend to stick to variations of the declining pressure profile, adjusting to various new beans I try. The DE1+ is lots of fun to use each morning.

speedplay

#149: Post by speedplay »

LA wrote:After a couple of wonderfully fruity espressos (a first for me) with beans that I suspect would have been unpleasant with my Gaggia (a Yiracheffe from RedBird), my machine died. I checked a couple of things based on help from the Decent message board and emails with John, but unfortunately nothing obvious was broken. For a week, I went back to the Gaggia and got unremarkable or fairly bad espressos with those beans, noticeably different from the DE1.

Incredibly, Decent sent a new machine before I could even return my old one, and the new one is going strong.
Did you ever find out what went wrong or broke in your machine?
And was it a sudden catastrophic failure or was it a gradual progression?

Anyway, glad to hear Decent sent you a new machine fairly quickly.

JayBeck

#150: Post by JayBeck »

r7 wrote:Hey Jayson, lots of fun to come with your new machine. I have a similar setup. Is that a palm tamper or a type of OCD device in the picture?
It is the OCD-style device from Kafatek. My new SSP Flat should be here in a few weeks.