Removing portafilter chrome? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
malachi

#11: Post by malachi »

Keep in mind that if you do remove the chrome you'll have to clean the inside of your portafilter very regularly and very thoroughly (i.e. every 45 minutes if in constant use or after every session if in home use - and not just a wipe either)
What's in the cup is what matters.

LeoZ

#12: Post by LeoZ »

was just thinking about this, sort of.
i got curious to see what was going on inside my grouphead, so i opened the mushroom. there was a bit of scale. (damn, i may have to attempt to descale everything this weekend now)
the scale was on the mushroom spout, and was easily wiped off.
the bottom of the grouphead, where the drain water goes, only had coffee oils, again easily removed.

my problem was that the 'mushroom spout', which is chrome plated, had some chrome flaked off, exposing the brass underneath.

anyone seen this? injesting chrome cant be a good thing now can it. :(

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

My Isomac did the same thing. Any chrome that was to flake would get stopped by the dispersion screen on top of the puck. I don't worry about it, unless something gets plugged which has not happened. In fact, the next time I descale and disassemble, I am going to take the chrome off completely.

I don't know why you would chrome plate an internal Brass part anyway. My Faema is all brass on the inner workings with the exterior of the group chrome plated.
Dave Stephens

LeoZ

#14: Post by LeoZ replying to cannonfodder »

im with you, makes no sense.
i removed my screen and gasket to check. man was it clean under there! i cant get it to sit very well now though, occasional water spurts when doing a backflush. i think its not in tight enough even though i cranked it. ill try reseating it tonight, my 5am attempts to work on things are usually un sucessful :D