Relocating Rancilio Silvia PID

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PhotoMax

#1: Post by PhotoMax »

Hi All,

Once I upgraded to all the fancy stuff I was intending to sell my old Rancilio Silvia machine and Rocky grinder combo. But, I have changed my mind, mainly to use the Rocky as a dedicated pour-over grinder. My Silvia has an aftermarket PID box added to the side of the machine. I think this is a version "1" Silvia. The location of the PID box always bothered me, sitting on the side with velcro as the glue mechanism.

Now that I want to store the Silvia in a pantry shelf that PID is more of a nuisance. I see that the current shipping Silvia's with PID has the PID box mounted under that switch platform. This is a much neater location. So, I would like to have a go at remounting the PID box in a similar manner. This would mean drilling metal screws into the metal cabinet and creating an interior path for the cables. I would need to be careful about not damaging any of the internal cables or components in the process.

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks,

Max

PhotoMax (original poster)

#2: Post by PhotoMax (original poster) »

Ok, I went ahead and did this...

I purchased this Silvia used. The previous owner added this PID unit. It was mounted on the side with failing velcro. All the wires were wrapped in a tube that was positioned on the side as well (you can see the wire tubing on the left hand side of the top photo). The velcro was getting old. It looked bad and was a nuisance to store in our tight pantry.

I had to pretty much dismantle the entire Silvia box, open the PID and carefully remove about seven wires from the PID controller. I then had to reroute the wires from behind and out in front, between the brew head and the milk wand. I also had to Dremel a grove in the stainless steel for the wires. This sort of became more time consuming than I had first thought.

But I like the look of the PID in its new position. The Silvia is now safer to store in our party as a backup in case there are any issues with our new Lucca.