Received my La Marzocco Linea Mini pretty beat up... - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
trunks235

Postby trunks235 » Jan 11, 2019, 6:48 pm

Update: still waiting on my refund...

I have started a PayPal claim, but I'm giving the seller some time before escalating it to a PayPal decision (trying to be nice).

At this point, the seller started their UPS claim and I helped them get all the info and pictures they needed. HOWEVER, I found 2 notes on my door from UPS saying they are picking up the damaged item and the seller never warned me! The seller then asked me to just give it to UPS so they can inspect and complete their claim but my response is a resounding NO. I will not be sending the machine anywhere until I have a full refund. If they can't agree to that then I'll just have to escalate my PayPal claim. Do you all agree with me?

boost

Postby boost » Jan 11, 2019, 9:23 pm

You'd have to send the item back first, no different than buying anything else online.

Significantly Not as Described - You received an item but it was significantly different from the seller's original description. (You might have to pay return shipping costs, but may be eligible for Return Shipping on US. Activate Return Shipping on US before filing your case to qualify for the benefit.)

JayBeck

Postby JayBeck » Jan 11, 2019, 10:27 pm

trunks235 wrote:Update: still waiting on my refund...

I have started a PayPal claim, but I'm giving the seller some time before escalating it to a PayPal decision (trying to be nice).

At this point, the seller started their UPS claim and I helped them get all the info and pictures they needed. HOWEVER, I found 2 notes on my door from UPS saying they are picking up the damaged item and the seller never warned me! The seller then asked me to just give it to UPS so they can inspect and complete their claim but my response is a resounding NO. I will not be sending the machine anywhere until I have a full refund. If they can't agree to that then I'll just have to escalate my PayPal claim. Do you all agree with me?

You have to send it back first. I had to do that on my claim.

trunks235

Postby trunks235 » replying to JayBeck » Jan 12, 2019, 12:05 am

Totally makes sense, but I don't see it as my issue as I'm not the one filing the UPS claim. If I send anything back, it'll be through the PayPal claim since they are the ones giving me purchase protection. I told the seller either they need to send me my refund and deal with UPS, or I'll have to escalate the PayPal claim.

linuxAndJavaScript

Postby linuxAndJavaScript » Jan 12, 2019, 2:26 pm

This is a nasty process, I have been through it. I would start the claim now. Paypal will also make you wait awhile as they do the same thing with giving the seller time to do whatever.

EDIT: Just read about where you didn't send the machine back. You have to send it back before the refund.

eltakeiteasy

Postby eltakeiteasy » Jan 12, 2019, 8:13 pm

trunks235 wrote:Update: still waiting on my refund...

Do I agree with you? No.

You need to let UPS pick up the machine to evaluate it. I would have opened a PayPal dispute the moment I opened that box. It was not packaged correctly. I think by waiting this long PayPal will likely have some questions to the reasoning you did not file a claim immediately as the item did not arrive as it was described by the seller. Depending on UPS and the seller they may try to claim it arrived fine and you damaged it upon moving it...

I would have let the seller file a claim with UPS and let him worry about the investigation.

trunks235

Postby trunks235 » replying to eltakeiteasy » Jan 12, 2019, 8:50 pm

I filed a claim within a few days of seeing the damages. Part of the PayPal claims process asks that you figure things out with the seller prior to escalating to a PayPal decision (they give 20 days). Since I understand the sellers frustrations, I gave them some time to handle things with UPS and settle with me. So much like you said, at this point I have been more than accommodating and don't have interest in being wrapped up in the UPS claims process. I asked for my money back before handing it off to UPS (which the seller can deal with).

eltakeiteasy

Postby eltakeiteasy » replying to trunks235 » Jan 12, 2019, 9:53 pm

I think that seems more than fair. Did you pay with a Credit Card? You might want to file a claim with them as well. PayPal may deny the claim so this will give you an additional avenue as well.

autotrader

Postby autotrader » Jan 13, 2019, 12:11 am

Wow, what a mess. Would really make you think twice about buying second hand. I have been tempted by various 'deals' on machines over the years but this would really put you off unless you could pick up in person.

My advice would be to tell the seller to refund you directly and you'll give him the machine, and then he can persue USPS for the damages. Tell him PayPal are going to rule in your favor either way so he may as well just give you back your money.

He could actually do quite well out if this...USPS might end up paying for a full repair of the machine...

Out of interest, was the price of the machine too good to be true?? Might be an indication of its condition prior to shipping...

trunks235

Postby trunks235 » Jan 13, 2019, 1:54 am

Unfortunately I paid with my debit card, but again not too worried about the whole situation given PayPal's policies and all the information I have to back my claim up.

It seemed like an amazing deal. Under 2 year old Linea Mini for almost half off. I really don't think this was anything malicious on the sellers part, just the consequence of them choosing to ship standard ground via UPS...