Received my La Marzocco Linea Mini pretty beat up... - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jyl

#11: Post by jyl »

Poor packaging and shipping is the seller's problem, not yours, unless you selected and supervised the packing and shipping.

I would have it professionally checked and tested, including powered on and operated. As part of that, get a comprehensive repair estimate. Then tell seller you require a full refund and will return the machine at his expense, unless he refunds you the cost of repair plus a significant amount for your trouble.

That's if you just can't pass up this machine and want to go to all that hassle. The simpler thing to do would be get your money back and look for another machine.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

Iowa_Boy

#12: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Whether this was damaged in shipping or whether it was not actually in the condition it was represented to be, I would definitely return. I can't imagine a shipping claim will be fast, and either way would always worry I had a damaged machine that would have issues down the road. Fortunately, you used PayPal and have photos showing the damage, so having them back you up shouldn't be difficult. Just my 2 cents!

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC »

trunks235 wrote:Some (mildly) good news:

The seller replied (that's a win!) that it was professionally packaged by the shipper and they will call to start a claim today. Not quite sure where that will get me but it's progress.
In my opinion, you should have already filed for a return via PayPal. Let the seller wait out the claim process and do whatever he/she wants to do at that point. You'd get your money back quick and safely.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/
★ Helpful

JayBeck

#14: Post by JayBeck »

I had to do a UPS claim on an E61 that I received that was damaged earlier this year. What looked like fairly minor damage was $1200 for replacement parts per a quote from a major US vendor. UPS originally accepted the claim, then they denied it, them they finally accepted it. Took 2 months.

Plus, UPS will only deal with the shipper so you need to return it IMO. This is probably over $2k of damage so it will take a while.

trunks235 (original poster)

#15: Post by trunks235 (original poster) replying to JayBeck »

Oh boy... this sounds like it's a sign for me to just buy the machine new from SCG and do their monthly 0% apr payments. Worth the piece of mind..

ben8jam

#16: Post by ben8jam »

trunks235 wrote:Oh boy... this sounds like it's a sign for me to just buy the machine new from SCG and do their monthly 0% apr payments. Worth the piece of mind..
I would see if LaM Home is open on Monday the 31st and see what deal they'll do for you. You're going to get a much better price and overall experience from them directly...

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

TomC wrote:In my opinion, you should have already filed for a return via PayPal. Let the seller wait out the claim process and do whatever he/she wants to do at that point.
Agreed! Of course, that's assuming the buyer didn't use PayPal's "friends & family" payment option to avoid the fee.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
trunks235 (original poster)

#18: Post by trunks235 (original poster) replying to HB »

Thankfully, I made it a point not to use their Venmo option and made it a point to use the PayPal option that gives me buyer protection. Has anyone had experience with it? At this point I don't even think it's worth sending a tech out...I'll just return it.

boost

#19: Post by boost »

Shipping via pallet/freight is the only way with these machines. Fedex/UPS ground shipment has to be able to withstand 3' drop and survive so that is very difficult to pack properly.
Note that UPS/Fedex or other carrrier such as Old Dominion offers terminal to terminal shipping which is quite a bit cheaper/half price than door to door since they dont have to send truck with liftgate to deliver it. J

sluflyer06

#20: Post by sluflyer06 »

trunks235 wrote:Thankfully, I made it a point not to use their Venmo option and made it a point to use the PayPal option that gives me buyer protection. Has anyone had experience with it? At this point I don't even think it's worth sending a tech out...I'll just return it.

Nitpicking but PayPal predates venmo by over a decade and has always let you send money to friends for free. Crediting Venmo for it is just uncool. Ha. Sorry.