Re: reconnecting wires to Isomac Tea boiler - help!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Phaelon56

#1: Post by Phaelon56 »

After six years of faithful daily service my Tea crapped out. Awoke one morning to find a puddle of water and it would no longer fill up. It appears that the fill valve failed.... allowed the boiler to run dry.... and fried the heating element in the process.

I order a new fill valve, replacement heating element and added in a pressurestat up grade along with a brass T to replace the plastic one where the silicone hoses branch off by the boiler.

In the process of removing the heating element so I could descale the boiler and get it working again I removed two wires from the heating element terminals. But now that it's time for reassembly I am really confused. There are two terminals on the element. I have a black wire that definitely connects to one but also have a short blue wire in the same harness that has TWO disconnected ends. One obviously goes to the element terminal but where does the other end go? I'm guessing that I inadvertently disconnected the other end when working loose the heating element but I can't find a single open terminal to which it might connect. Any and all advice appreciated.

jesawdy

#2: Post by jesawdy »

Hmm... does this pic of a pressurestat in the TEA shed any light on it?

Upgraded pstat in a Isomac Tea - courtesy of 1st-line's Isomac Tea, here

The heater is in this pic.. somewhere :evil: , http://www.1st-line.com/machines/home_m ... lement.htm
Jeff Sawdy

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Phaelon56 wrote:I'm guessing that I inadvertently disconnected the other end when working loose the heating element but I can't find a single open terminal to which it might connect.
The heating element indicator lamp?

PS: Many of our members frequent multiple coffee sites. Please avoid cross-posting your question, or mention the other site(s) to avoid repetitive responses (link). Thanks!
Dan Kehn

Phaelon56 (original poster)

#4: Post by Phaelon56 (original poster) »

PS: Many of our members frequent multiple coffee sites. Please avoid cross-posting your question, or mention the other site(s) to avoid repetitive responses (link). Thanks!
Oops. Sorry about that. yes - I did post it in the Coffeegeek forums as well but no replies there and it's about to fall off the first page into oblivion.

I'll clarify. The wires leading to the pressurestat were never disconnected prior to doing the heating element swap - nor were any others except a single blue and single black wire leading to the two terminals on the element. It was when I went to reconnect the blue and black wire that I discovered the other end of the blue wire to be loose and not connected to anything.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Phaelon56 wrote:It was when I went to reconnect the blue and black wire that I discovered the other end of the blue wire to be loose and not connected to anything.
I'm not following you... can you post a picture? And to ask the implicit question, is anything not working? It may be that Isomac uses a common wiring harness for several models and yours lacks one of the features. Another wild guess -- the extra lead is input into the controller to sense when the heating element is on (?).
Dan Kehn

Phaelon56 (original poster)

#6: Post by Phaelon56 (original poster) »

As for the question
is anything not working?
.... on the basis of sad past experience (fried brain on a Linea :wink: ) I'm not about to power anything up until I'm sure all the wires are connected to where they are supposed to be. But I did finally get through to a tech guy at Chris Coffee and I let a bit DOH! I ordered a replacement/upgrade thermal fuse and forgot to put it back in. The red jacketed thermal fuse is not visible in the photo you linked to. But just beyond where the end of the blue wire in the picture sits is where it hooks up. The other end of the thermal fuse goes to one of the two blue wires that goes to Common on the pressurestat. Now I just have to figure out where the end of that blue wire is - should be up inside caught on something because it has not been visible.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Dave Stephens