Rancilio Z11 Rebuild

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
aaronmaestri

#1: Post by aaronmaestri »

I have just coma across a two group Rancilio that I was hoping to rebuild. Its generally in good condition though there are some issues with the wiring for the dosing switches - while it was in storage some little rodent has nibbled all the wires on one group.
I wanted to get some schematics, wiring diagrams etc so that I can start to asses its state but I cannot find the model number listed on it anywhere. Its compliance plate has been replaced by a "moccopan" one which lists voltage etc but no model.
Does anyone know for certain what model this is or where they may have stamped the model number inside the case?

djmonkeyhater

#2: Post by djmonkeyhater »

I have found that good schematics are hard to come by for older machines. The good news is that most of them are not that different from each other and there are lots of shared components including electrical.

If you get stuck or can't find a full diagram, post some good photos of the parts in question and I'm sure that we can get you aimed in the right direction. Your own photos may end up being the schematic you use for re-assembly.

Two places to start looking getting an idea of what machine you might have and what parts are available for it are below. There are many other good resources if you do a little digging.

www.espressoparts.com
www.cafeparts.com

wes

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#3: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

That sure looks like a Z11 to me, which is what we are running in our shop. We love that machine. It's built like the proverbial brick shitter. Rancilio has diagrams on their website still, at least they did last time I looked. It's totally worth rebuilding that machine if you plan on holding on to it and its bones are still decent. They just aren't built like that anymore...good luck and keep posting your progress.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

aaronmaestri (original poster)

#4: Post by aaronmaestri (original poster) »

Well I am pretty sure its a Z11, though because it has mercury switches like a Z9 instead of a pressurestat I am wondering if it might be a very early model with some legacy parts from the earlier model.
I have decided to have a crack at rebuilding the machine but while I have rebuilt a couple of small domestic lever machines, this is my first ever rebuild project with so many pipes and wires. Its a little daunting, especially the idea of pulling it to bits and then being able to remember where everything goes when it comes time to put it all back together.
At this point the machine is totally untested so my thinking is that I should repair the rodent damaged wires on the dosing buttons and disconnect two of the elements so that it can be powered on a standard 10amp circuit as I dont have a 20amp plug in the workshop. Then fire it up and see what happens - if it heats up, if it holds pressure, if dosing and autofill work. Then based on that I will do a clean and descale.
I will post photos once I get going

CRCasey

#5: Post by CRCasey »

All of the old Rancilio service manuals are available on their web site.

That is by far the best place to start.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

#6: Post by aaronmaestri (original poster) »

Well I had quite a productive weekend.
I removed all the exterior panels vacuumed out all the cockroach parts and repaired the rodent damage to the wires, then I drained the boiler and removed the element. there was an unbelievable amount of scale and gunk inside the boiler. It almost looked like the boiler was filled with dark brown corn chips. I will post photos soon.
I have the parts schematic manual which is quite useful but there seems to be a few different variations on this model. Mine has mercury switches which only seem to be in one of the parts illustrations. Its all a little overwhelmingly complicated I have been photographing everything and taking loads of notes so that I can put the whole thing back together at some point down the road.
I have almost disconnected the boiler so that it can be flushed out and cleaned. I ordered some commercial descaler which should turn up next week. I am a bit concerned about soaking the boiler in descaler as i was worried it might effect the chrome exterior of the boiler. does anyone have any experience with this?
I am also hoping to get the element tested this week to make sure it is still ok and I'm not going to electrocute myself
Photos to come

PictureThyme

#7: Post by PictureThyme »

I am a bit concerned about soaking the boiler in descaler as i was worried it might effect the chrome exterior of the boiler. does anyone have any experience with this?
Many have been down the road you are headed, perhaps with different machines, but with the same expectations for results. I would never have decided to buy an old Linea rather than a new Alex Duetto if it wasn't for posts from People like Paul Pratt, Timothy Blue, and Lurkerjohnny on HB:
http://www.espresso-restorations.com/1GAVLinea.html
http://www.timothyblue.com/linea.php
La Marzocco Linea 1 AV Rebuild Project

For the chrome parts, when you soak them, do so only for a few minutes, just long enough to get off whatever scale is on the part.
Enjoy the process. It can be challenging.
Steve

CRCasey

#8: Post by CRCasey »

+1 to what PT said.

Chrome can be attacked by acidic cleaners. In this forum you hear it mostly about portafilters that are chrome over brass. Odds are that your boiler is constructed that way as well.

One question. Is it only the outside of the boiler that is chromed? Or is the inside done as well?

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

#9: Post by aaronmaestri (original poster) »

Its a little hard to tell at this point, as the inside is coated in crud and I'm only peering in through the element hole with a torch but I would say that the interior is just plain brass.

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#10: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

When I descaled a San Marco 2G boiler last summer, I plugged all the holes and stood it up on end so that I was able to fill it up internally without harming the chromed exterior. Worked well. Just an idea for you.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun