I have a Rancilio Silvia V3 with Auber PID that was working great for about 3 years.
For whatever reason now it is overheating and the thermostat protection keeps popping up.
This is the sequence:
- Machine is disconnected
- Machine is connected and turned ON
- PID LED is solid red
- Power light (top switch) is also solid.
- Temp on the PID starts climbing, at about 182 degrees the PID LED stars blinking slowly
- Power light on top switch remains solid (this is the strange part, because I remember it should be blinking in sync with the PID's LED)
- At about 225 degrees the PID LED is completely off, but the top switch light remains solid.
- Temp keeps raising, passing 250 degrees, and eventually the thermostat pops up
- Top switch light stays solid but temperature slowly decays.
I opened the machine, pushed the thermostat reset button and the cycle repeats.
Thats started happening yesterday, I tested it on brew mode, I havent test it on froth mode, but I guess it will be the same.
I never run the machine without water.
I do have another PID, brand new, but I dont think is the problem, since the red LED of the PID seems to indicate it is working fine (the LED is first solid, then as temperature increase it stats blinking, which I think is because the PID is trying to turn the heat off-on slowly to reach desire target temp)
This is my home machine, I have tools, multimeter, etc but I never adventured on taken apart a coffee machine.
Do you guys have suggestions on what might be happening?