Rancilio Silvia Pro X Review - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DCoffee

#11: Post by DCoffee »

Vito wrote:I've watched the video about the potential shipping damage, but what did both of you find was damaged? Mine just got delivered this morning and I'm curious what I should be looking for. Thanks.
My original machine had 2 issues:

1) There was a finish defect under the tray area on the bottom of the frame that would have started rusting over time as a result. The vendor saw a picture of that and took it back right away.

2) It was as if something happened in shipping that caused the plastic part covering the group head to bend, look badly shaped, and almost snap.

My replacement which came on a palette was fine. I've been using it for weeks. Awesome machine.

DCoffee

#12: Post by DCoffee »

gobucks wrote:WOW now that is some expensive shipping! Obviously I don't know your financial situation, but given the astronomical markup for shipping, it definitely seems like a "buy once, cry once" situation - If it's going to be almost $3K for even a midrange machine, I'd probably rather just splash out like $4K on a TOTL machine like the ECM Synchronika, Lelit Bianca, Profitec Pro 700, etc that I know I won't outgrow (or at least a $3500 semi-TOTL vibe pump machine like the Quick Mill QM67 or Profitec Pro 600). The biggest unknown for me is flow control - I'm not advanced enough to need it now, but it could be something I really miss down the road, and I was willing to forgo it at <$2K (I bought a Lelit Elizabeth, very similar to the Silvia Pro X, at $1600), but if I had to shell out closer to $3K, I probably wouldn't be willing to forgo the possibility of that feature. If you're reasonably confident that the Silvia Pro X is your endgame machine, though, then it makes sense.
I almost purchased an ECM Synchronika. I had a similar thought process as you...Get the flow control up front etc....Then I started reading about all the problems people were having with these "after thought" flow control devices that some of these manufacturers came up with to get some of those sales etc...That's my assessment of the situation, and the reason why I moved away from it for now. We decided to go with a "cheaper" machine for now partly because of this, and partly because we are new to espresso.

After using this Pro X for several weeks now, I can tell you that it's a great machine. Flow control capabilities aside, I have every suspicion that this machine makes as good espresso as any. We are really enjoying it. It has all the key features you need for doing so. We're loving it, and we much prefer the look of this machine to some. It was a good buy for us.

We haven't had any issues with verticle flex in the group head mentioned, or any other problems. It's been perfect. It didn't take us long to learn to dial good espresso. The quality of our milk frothing is another matter. Still have some learning to do there. It's our technique, it's certainly not the machine's fault. This machine has very powerful steaming capability. No doubt.

Price/value, I cannot recommend this machine enough based on my experience to this point.

Advertisement
gobucks

#13: Post by gobucks replying to DCoffee »

Fair enough. Hopefully the Pro X will last you a long time, and you won't have to pay that ridiculous shipping again. My Lelit Elizabeth is in the same league, and I hope it is the last machine I need to buy for a long time. So far my light roast/natural process shots haven't been great, but I'm hoping to get something decent by playing around with grind, preinfusion time/pressure, and temperature.

I did kinda get the feeling that the e61 flow control is less than it's cracked up to be, in fact I had at least one US importer say that it doesn't work that great, especially on the lower end vibe pump models. It supposedly works better on a rotary pump, but it still seems like kind of a pain in the butt - manually turning the valve a precise amount every few seconds seems really tedious, to the point where it seems almost as difficult as a lever machine. I really hope that the traditional manufacturers implement something more automated like the Decent flow profiling in future models, maybe that would be worth upgrading to.

Tisserand

#14: Post by Tisserand »

Another recent Silvia Pro X buyer here, figured I would share some impressions and seek some input:

Background
- Silvia V1 w/PID owner for about 7 years, bought used
- Boiler finally went after ~18 years of service
- Figured it was a sign for the inevitable upgrade

What I was looking for
- Dual boiler - this to me was a must. I don't make milk drinks every day, but the process of transitioning the brew boiler to steam temperature was getting old.
- Pre-infusion - Had always heard of the merits of pre-infusion, so wanted this in my next machine
- Integrated, factory temp. control - I found that temperature accuracy of the aftermarket PID wasn't ideal, and the aggressive on/off nature of the PWM PID was a bit much (lights would noticeable flicker as the heater went on and off when the machine was on)
- Longevity - The Silvia I had lasted 18 years, so something built-to-last was a must.

Shipping issues
Similarly to DCoffee, I had some shipping issues. First off, the machine arrived SOAKED, even though the box was dry. It was clear that something had either leaked, or wasn't drained properly in shipping. Additionally the rear panel had partly popped off, and the exposed screw scratched some of the side frame of the machine. Lastly, I'm getting some weird water flow from the left side of the group head on start-up. Rancilio tells me this isn't normal.

Experience
- The form factor is great, love the improved styling. I'm used to the Silvia's small drip try, so no complaints there.
- Steam - the steam wand is a huge improvement in itself, and the steam performance is awesome. Definitely different, but much drier and has staying power. Can steam back-to-back on end with no issues.
- Brew - this has been a bit of a different story for me. I had on hand some of Revel's Ethiospro, largely Ethiopian, and fairly light-roasted espresso blend. I usually really enjoy this coffee, but I was definitely running higher temps on the older Silvia to avoid sourness in the cup. This has been a challenge with the Pro X. Even with the brew boiler cranked to 212F / 100C, I'm getting a very acidic espresso at a 2:1, 18g/36g. The machine is limited to "boiling point", but i'm concerned that the calibration on my machine could be off. I used to run the old Silvia up to where I was getting steam out of the group to mark boiling, then walk back from there.

Has anyone else had trouble with lighter roasts? Temperature in general?

I have concerns about how the machine was handled, and even after I took it apart and used a fan for several hours to dry it out, I don't want to find out that the machine rusted from the inside out years from now. I will be exchanging the machine with the supplier regardless.

rzz

#15: Post by rzz »

DCoffee wrote:My original machine had 2 issues:

1) There was a finish defect under the tray area on the bottom of the frame that would have started rusting over time as a result. The vendor saw a picture of that and took it back right away.

2) It was as if something happened in shipping that caused the plastic part covering the group head to bend, look badly shaped, and almost snap.

My replacement which came on a palette was fine. I've been using it for weeks. Awesome machine.
Could you share where you bought it from? Really tryna minimize the shipping risk here (i'm thinking about picking it up somewhere myself). Thanks!

BodieZoffa

#16: Post by BodieZoffa »

Tisserand wrote:Another recent Silvia Pro X buyer here, figured I would share some impressions and seek some input:

Background
- Silvia V1 w/PID owner for about 7 years, bought used
- Boiler finally went after ~18 years of service
- Figured it was a sign for the inevitable upgrade

What I was looking for
- Dual boiler - this to me was a must. I don't make milk drinks every day, but the process of transitioning the brew boiler to steam temperature was getting old.
- Pre-infusion - Had always heard of the merits of pre-infusion, so wanted this in my next machine
- Integrated, factory temp. control - I found that temperature accuracy of the aftermarket PID wasn't ideal, and the aggressive on/off nature of the PWM PID was a bit much (lights would noticeable flicker as the heater went on and off when the machine was on)
- Longevity - The Silvia I had lasted 18 years, so something built-to-last was a must.

Shipping issues
Similarly to DCoffee, I had some shipping issues. First off, the machine arrived SOAKED, even though the box was dry. It was clear that something had either leaked, or wasn't drained properly in shipping. Additionally the rear panel had partly popped off, and the exposed screw scratched some of the side frame of the machine. Lastly, I'm getting some weird water flow from the left side of the group head on start-up. Rancilio tells me this isn't normal.

Experience
- The form factor is great, love the improved styling. I'm used to the Silvia's small drip try, so no complaints there.
- Steam - the steam wand is a huge improvement in itself, and the steam performance is awesome. Definitely different, but much drier and has staying power. Can steam back-to-back on end with no issues.
- Brew - this has been a bit of a different story for me. I had on hand some of Revel's Ethiospro, largely Ethiopian, and fairly light-roasted espresso blend. I usually really enjoy this coffee, but I was definitely running higher temps on the older Silvia to avoid sourness in the cup. This has been a challenge with the Pro X. Even with the brew boiler cranked to 212F / 100C, I'm getting a very acidic espresso at a 2:1, 18g/36g. The machine is limited to "boiling point", but i'm concerned that the calibration on my machine could be off. I used to run the old Silvia up to where I was getting steam out of the group to mark boiling, then walk back from there.

Has anyone else had trouble with lighter roasts? Temperature in general?

I have concerns about how the machine was handled, and even after I took it apart and used a fan for several hours to dry it out, I don't want to find out that the machine rusted from the inside out years from now. I will be exchanging the machine with the supplier regardless.
Got my Pro last June and it had the same issue with the lower part of the panel/housing popped out of place. Those lower screws are more like posts instead of actually securing the panel in place. Regardless of how much they're tightened that panel can still easily slide up/out of place. Mine also has a bit of scratch/scuff marks on the frame from it, but with the newer Silvia line being primarily stainless I'm not the least bit concerned with any possibility of rusting. Mine performs flawlessly and has great temp stability/recovery. Only 'issues' are...

-the 3-way splash that still makes a mess, so I utilized a piece of 3/4" heat shrink tubing that slides onto the discharge pipe and nicely diverts the flow out into the drip tray. I keep a few sponges in the tray as that absorbs all discharge and makes clean up daily a breeze.

-also the shower screen/screw is much better than the previous design, I still found the screen to not be neatly flush mounted and installed the PIDSilvia kit which is a better fit than the stock setup.

adgeq

#17: Post by adgeq »

I pulled the trigger on purchasing a Silvia Pro X and it just arrived 2 days ago. Everything works fine except there's a pinhole on the back of the wand and it squirts opening the steam valve.

Luckily and thankfully, I received inputs from two credible resources regarding the defected wand. There ARE good people in this world! How I WISH I would have just ordered the machine from Stefano's hehe.

Anyway, my Pro X is still under warranty (for two yrs with Whole Latte Love) and I was able to reach them & A replacement wand is on its way to me.

I still am in love with the Rancilio Silvia Pro X.

Advertisement
sambuist

#18: Post by sambuist »

i still think they are one of the most iconic and best looking machines out there. im glad the Pro X is living up to the hype. one day i will get one

kc2hje (original poster)

#19: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

CSME9 wrote:Can you expand on the vertical flex ? Is the group front panel flexing when inserting the porta filter handle. Thanks..
There was some twisting deflection while locking in the portafilter that went away after tightening one of the screws that was loose between the stainless steel rear cover and the top of the frame. However even still there is up and down movement while locked in that seems like flexing due to the longer and taller frame. I will see if I can film it and post up on my youtube account.

Chris Herbert

joeSyrup

#20: Post by joeSyrup »

Hello Silvia Pro X enthusiasts,

I have a sad tale to narrate. I ordered my first SPX about three months ago from Chris Coffee (NY). It was back-ordered and arrived about 4 weeks later. Out of the box I noticed that one of the screws on the top was loose. Got in touch with the seller right away. I was advised to go ahead fill the tank with water and turn on the machine. Doing so produced an error code (E.01, I think, anomaly filling steam boiler). At this point I was asked to empty the boilers and return the machine. This was easier said than done. The tech was curt and not super helpful. This process involved getting a two deep socket wrenches that I didn't just have lying around, carefully unscrewing the top nuts on both boilers (not sure why the steam boiler filled up based on error) and sucking out the water with a straw (didn't have a siphon lying around either). I just asked for a refund.

Assumed this was a one-off and ordered a new one from Clive Coffee (Portland). This time the machine looked fine, and I was able to dial in my shots quickly and enjoyed the machine for exactly two weeks. On the two week anniversary, I saw some water trickling down from the front panel from behind the group head assembly. I was able to pull two decent shots. The next day, I turned on the machine and left the room. Coming back, I found that the breaker at my outlet had tripped. When I turned the machine back on after resetting the outlet breaker, I noticed a lot more leakage right away, and turned off the machine and called Clive. They were very responsive and helpful. I had to do a video call with the tech who noticed that a gasket underneath the brew boiler was probably off (part of it seemed to be sticking out) and arranged for me to send it back. I have a few options now-- get a full refund, or a new replacement, or get a different model completely. I think the folks at Clive are great, and seem to be willing to help me get this right.

So why did I pick the Rancilio SPX? I did see the James Hoffman video, and was impressed by the accuracy of the machine out of the box. A lot of other reviews pointed out how reliable the _Rancilio Silvia_ was (the original single boiler). Another big point in favor of the Rancilio was that the perceived repair-ability. The minimalist control panel design also was a major plus in this regard. All put together I decided that the SPX was the one to get. And for two weeks, this decision seemed like the right one. Great shots, and powerful steam which I managed to figure out quite quickly to be able to do rudimentary art with decent microfoam.

Now I'm not so sure. When I opened this second machine, I noticed that the clips under the top panel screws were rusted and had left stains under the top panel. Behind the front panel, there were some rust-like stains near the pressure gauge. So it was not just the leakage, but under the hood there were other signs of quality control issues. At this point I'm torn on what to do next. I am considering the LUCCA A53 Mini or Lelit Elizabeth as an alternative. Ideally I would love to get "third time lucky" with a new SPX and never have to think about this again. One additional downside to the SPX may be using a triple-basket bottomless portafilter (which I was getting ready to buy)-- there was one review that talked about how the fit wasn't ideal. Any one have a similar experience with the bottomless + triple basket?

The reviews in this thread seem to be written within weeks of purchase. The SPX is relatively new in the market (what about 4-5 months)? Do we have reason to believe that this is not going to be another home run like the original single-boiler? Any thoughts and comments from experts or owners of the SPX after having used this machine longer?