Rancilio Silvia Pro users...I need some support. - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
uff_da (original poster)

#11: Post by uff_da (original poster) »

That is actually hilarious. So I work in a coffee shop. The steam wand I use at work has a plastic cover. And I religiously wipe the machine after I use it. I am very good about it. I also wiped an purged this wand each and every time I used it. I guess I need to use soap on it every time? lol I am cracking up.

My husband says I always panic when I buy things. Plus, I am actually losing some vision so that didn't help the situation.

Oh boy, I have a ton to learn about this. Thanks so much to everyone for helping me off the ledge.

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

I make sure I wipe it with a wet washcloth immediately after every use and blow out the steam tip into the same cloth. Because the tip and at least the tubing near it get very hot, milk can dry onto it very quickly once out of the pitcher. Depending on how much milk you steam, removing the tip and soaking it with your baskets and screen weekly might be a good idea. I just use Cafiza for everything as I don't have a significant scale problem.

Have you read the sections on using "non-scaling" water yet?

uff_da (original poster)

#13: Post by uff_da (original poster) »

I promise I wipe and purge the wand every time. I don't know what is happening here. lol

You can remove the steam wand? Okay, I am going to have to find a video on that!

I am using one of those filter pads. But I know that is not enough, possibly that it doesn't work well...I am super excited to get into the knowledge rabbit hole of using non scaling water. I read some people make their own water??

Jeff
Team HB

#14: Post by Jeff »

You can generally unthread the tip. Hopefully you're not letting the wand cool in the pitcher and are blowing it out promptly so you'll never have to remove the wand itself.

"RPavlis water" is a good starting point that should help protect your machine without getting too crazy. It cam be made up from distilled or bulk RO/Di water. If you don't want to chase down the potassium bicarbonate it uses, there is a very similar version that uses ordinary baking soda.