Rancilio Silvia Making Harsh Tasting Espresso - Page 3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mbenedet

#21: Post by mbenedet »

I did my own test with my Scace and my Silvia, V3 I think. My results were very different from Auber's. I usually hover around 226 on my PID and get perfectly fine shots. I've taken it up to 229 even, no problem. 220 and below sounds way low to me. I can't remember by protocol, but it was certainly wrong. I remember I temped the reservoir at 70F, and toward the end of my test I added ice to the reservoir to see how cooler incoming water would affect the brew temp. My note at the end of the pic is obviously wrong. It was from 70F to 50F with the ice, not the reverse. According to my chart, PID 220 = Brew temp 200. Can't remember how I got myself up to 226, but I'll try to perform a smarter test and follow up. If I get the chance!

nrcoffee (original poster)

#22: Post by nrcoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. I have a few new things to try. What's the worst that can happen? A sink shot?

As to the pump, are you referring to the start and stop? I have it set for a 2 second on, 4 second off pre infusion.

bigandlighty

#23: Post by bigandlighty »

nrcoffee wrote:As to the pump, are you referring to the start and stop? I have it set for a 2 second on, 4 second off pre infusion.
No, I am referring to the section of the video that starts at :18, and then periodically pulses. I don't really know where the sound is coming from, it may not be the pump.

#24: Post by nrcoffee (original poster) »

I hear what you mean. I honestly don't know. I am pretty sure that's the way it has always been. Maybe someone else can answer this?

collinsad

#25: Post by collinsad »

The change in pitch of the pump is due to the PID switching on/off the heating element which causes a dip in voltage at the pump. If you were to flick the steam switch on you wouldn't hear the change in pitch as the voltage at the pump would remain constant. The change in voltage at the pump is likely 5V or less, for example going from 120V when the heating element is off to 115V when the heating element is on.

#26: Post by nrcoffee (original poster) »

So I may be on to something with down dosing. I've gone down to 17g in an 18g VST basket. Shooting for around 40g out in around 30 seconds. I've been getting results much closer to my liking.

dingo1799

#27: Post by dingo1799 »

Equipped with a PID, shouldn't need to flush, just adjust the temp. If you're getting bitter shots, lower the temp. Mine is set at 103c, no issues