Rancilio Silvia espresso runs too fast - best path forward - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
flow_so_sick (original poster)

#11: Post by flow_so_sick (original poster) »

After many more shots, I'm pretty convinced that my rocky is a lemon. Flow rate has clearly decreased, but grinding at true zero with relatively new burrs and teflon mod still are at 17-18 seconds for 1:2.

To confirm this before I upgrade to the new grinder, I was thinking of asking my local cafe to pregrind some beans for comparison. Has anyone tried this before? Is it an effective way to compare?

CSME9

#12: Post by CSME9 »

Relatively new burr set , did it grind fine enough before ? Might be new burrs are not oem, or different burr pattern. I would check, remove clean reinstall , re zero prior to giving up on Rocky.

Jeff
Team HB

#13: Post by Jeff »

flow_so_sick wrote:I was thinking of asking my local cafe to pregrind some beans for comparison. Has anyone tried this before? Is it an effective way to compare?
As there isn't a universal "espresso grind" for non-pressurized baskets, this may not be a useful experiment, especially if it runs too fast. You might ask if there is someone near you that has a grinder that you could both try out together on your machine. The Silvia is compact enough that you could probably take it elsewhere if they've got a comparatively heavy or bulky grinder.

JRising
Team HB

#14: Post by JRising »

flow_so_sick wrote:After many more shots, I'm pretty convinced that my rocky is a lemon. Flow rate has clearly decreased, but grinding at true zero with relatively new burrs and teflon mod still are at 17-18 seconds for 1:2.

To confirm this before I upgrade to the new grinder, I was thinking of asking my local cafe to pregrind some beans for comparison. Has anyone tried this before? Is it an effective way to compare?
Do you have a friend or relative that has experience with espresso machines? Would they come over and dial in your grinder for you? It's just that having someone in a cafe "pregrind" some beans for a machine he can't see is no more useful than you using a grinder that hasn't been adjusted properly.

And when you say "True zero", what do you mean? If the burrs have come into contact at the edge (Unless they're wildly un-parallel), how are they grinding too coarsely?

I don't want to stop you from upgrading to a better grinder, you'll want it some day and you'll make a sales-person happy, but blaming the grinder before you learn it isn't going to make the next one more lenient. Who did the "Teflon" mod that you mention? Did they get the burrs adjusted perfectly to touch at true zero when the grinder was reassembled? Would they be willing to prove to you that a rocky can grind fine enough to choke the Silvia? Would the seller of the grinder (if not the same person) be willing to prove that a Rocky can choke a Silvia?

SutterMill

#15: Post by SutterMill »

You could try the stepless mod on the rocky as a cheap interim experiment. It could be that the teflon tape has shifted/balled if the upper carrier was turned at all.

flow_so_sick (original poster)

#16: Post by flow_so_sick (original poster) »

The Rocky was an afterthought thrown in for free with the Silvia (both used). I haven't actually seen it produce good espresso before; the seller claimed it could.

Saw poor results for a few months, so I fiddled with the Rocky. Tried cleaning, replacing the burrs with OEM, and adding the teflon tape myself as per the instructions in these forums. Decreased grind until the burrs were touching, then backed into the smallest possible grind setting before that sound.

Have not yet tried the stepless mod. But this much fiddling with the machine just to be able to pull a single espresso shot doesn't bode well... Are people that use the Rocky only using the area between the last "step" and the touching burrs?

Potentially the machine is a lemon or was damaged before I received it. Not sure how I'd be able to tell though.

SutterMill

#17: Post by SutterMill »

I suggested the stepless mod as a cheap, potentially fruitfull project while you look at other options. I understand the frustration of working to dial in a machine and not making progress.
If I were putting money on the problem I would suggest upgrading your grinder first. A sette, df-64 or Niche zero are all worthwhile grinders that have provided owners with great results. Should you find the need to upgrade your Espresso machine at some point then you are already set up on the grinder end.