Rancilio Classe 8: For Home Use Questions

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cebseb

#1: Post by cebseb »

A couple weeks ago, I purchased my very first espresso machine and it was a used Rancilio Classe 8. I managed to get it and a Macap MXT grinder for a very nice price. Note that I have a Mazzer Major on my way to me in a couple weeks.

The machine is in overall good health with a few leaks (from the plastic flowmeters), little to no scale build up, and electronics all accounted for and functional. I am currently waiting on a new motor since the one I have is on its last legs (yes I replaced the start capacitor and the water pump already). The motor would spin up and turn smoothly without the water pump attached, but then seize up under load and just hum. After a few talks with SEVERAL electricians and motor shops, they believe the issue can be attributed to water damage.

Anyways...

Aside from reading up on the tech manual and general repair tutorials, I have combed every forum and youtube video on my machine (and its siblings the classe 6, 10, and cousin: the epoca), but I found little information on its actual use. I have seen the rebuild threads for the classe 8 and classe 10 (impressive), but no accounts of use after the completed build.

What I would like to know from the Rancilio Classe users is, do you enjoy your machine for home use? I purchased this machine as a sort of a starter project to get my feet wet and it has done that well so far. I was going to sell it off after refurbishing it and move on to a more ambitious build, but I would like to know if some of you out there would actually opt to keep the Rancilio.

Ok, I have rambled on enough. Thank you for time and please share any thoughts you may have.

Sebastian

twolane

#2: Post by twolane »

More than anything else, I'd get those plastic caps swapped out right away.

As for use in home, I don't know that any Rancilio machine is necessarily the first choice- not because they are sub-standard, but because they are just not as common.

My advice would be to lower the steam pressure down as low as is still usable (for me around 1 bar) and start with that. Do what you can to bleed the groups after you've hooked it up to water. Familiarize yourself with a good flushing procedure. Enjoy!

cebseb (original poster)

#3: Post by cebseb (original poster) »

Twolane.
I've already replaced the whole flowmeter with new brass ones. I've run plenty of gallons through the machine and I'll be doing the Puro Cafe grouphead flush as soon as my new motor arrives.
Thanks for the input!

In the time I've been waiting for my parts to come around, I've been doing PLENTY of research into my next project. Looks like it's going to be a La Marzocco GS 2 group!

cebseb (original poster)

#4: Post by cebseb (original poster) »

A little update. After 3 days of having the fully functioning and assembled machine, I am in love. However, since it is my very first espresso machine, I might just be in the honeymoon phase.

On the first day, I spent about 1.5 pounds of beans (Vivace Dolce and Stumptown Hairbender) running my grinder and the machine through its paces. I was mainly trying to build some sort of routine and muscle memory to aid me in making a decent cup during my zombie state spent mornings. After SEVERAL frustrating attempts, I have now managed to consistently pull, in my opinion, a decent shot

A few pros about this machine:
1) I leave it on. I have spoken at length with a few Rancilio technicians and they have noted that their commercial machines are meant to be kept up and running 24/7. This means, I don't have to wait for it to warm up. However, from a cold start, it takes 18 minutes for it to be ready.

2) Responsive. I tried pulling two shots, while leaving both steam wands on at full blast. The machine didnt even blink. As a home user, I will never come close to even pushing the machine's limits.

3) Repairability. I have large hands and my digit dexterity has been hampered due to a decade of rock climbing (and training for rock climbing). Having ample space to maneuver inside the machine while holding a wrench is like a dream.

4) Aesthetics. I like the simple, no nonsense look of the Rancilio Classe machines. Clean lines and minimalist design.

Some cons:

1) Electricity usage. This is TBD. I have yet to receive my electricity bill for a month, but I doubt good things will come from leaving this thing on for long stretches of time. I will update in a few weeks time.

2) Noise. It is not loud per se, but it is more like an audible metallic hum akin to an idling workstation server. The sound is originating from a single, internal fan.

3) Parts availability. I had little trouble actually finding parts, but the time in which it took me to receive them was kind of an issue. Being in Seattle, Wa, I'm quite spoiled with the local availability of SEVERAL manufacturers. Simonelli, Slayer, Baratza to name a few. However, Rancilio is not as popular around here so I had to find online sources for a few parts.

So far, as a home user, I am VERY satisfied of the performance of this machine and it has persuaded me to hold off on an "upgrade" for a little while longer.

I'll be back with an update in some time. Thanks for reading!

Sebastian

angman

#5: Post by angman »

That sure is a great 1st machine! Mine was actually the same but I never got around to actually using it. I didn't have the 220 plug readily available or plumb in nor space at the time. However I did trade it in for a new Vibiemme and that was very nice. Grwat job though and congrats. Shot looks great.

cebseb (original poster)

#6: Post by cebseb (original poster) replying to angman »

Thanks! Yeah, I lucked out with the thing. The plumbing and the 220v power source definitely would limit the type of machines one could have in a home setting.

The Vibiemme looks great! That would definitely free up some counter space!

cebseb (original poster)

#7: Post by cebseb (original poster) »

Update:

Ran into an issue two days ago. After 72 hours of leaving the machine on and pulling shots, the thermal reset trips. I reboot the machine and it trips again within 2 minutes. Uh oh.

At that point, several possible problems ran through my mind. Faulty thermal reset. Scaled elements. bad motherboard. After a couple hours of troubleshooting and research, I decide to peak into the tank. Empty. Weird. The sight glass still showed a green led (aka: full) which drew my attention away from the fact that the sight glass was actually empty. Doh!

Anyways, I found out that the Rancilios (epoca and classe) use a different method of measuring the amount of liquid in the boiler. Instead of a probe, there is an Auto-fill circuit board clipped to the sight glass. When water fills up the sight glass via pump, it completes a circuit between the clips and turns the led from red to green. If the water level decreases enough, the circuit breaks and it triggers the pump. Apparently I had a faulty auto-fill board giving me a false positive. $45 part. Phew.

The use of the auto-fill board is the first thing I found on my machine that I dislike. In my opinion, an over engineered setup with too many points of failure.

Now I'm back to espresso bliss.

Thanks for reading!

twolane

#8: Post by twolane »

Sounds like a success! A pain no doubt, but a quick fix none the less. Have you considered swapping your steam valves out for the newer Clever style? When I've had the chance to use them, I've really enjoyed them. One direction to lock on, one that doesn't. Nice big handle to work with.

cebseb (original poster)

#9: Post by cebseb (original poster) replying to twolane »

Ha! I did swap the left steam valve out for the Clever Valve. Quite an easy upgrade. I really enjoy it as well. For the price (about $95), I think it's a definite must for any Rancilio Classe owners out there with older models.

Just a note: I'm not liking the aesthetic direction that Rancilio is taking their higher end models lately. LEDs and larger LCD displays. All that comes to mind is more points of failure. Sigh.

cebseb (original poster)

#10: Post by cebseb (original poster) »

Still in love!

Now I'm focusing more on the other aspects of making espresso aside from the machine since I have that under control for now (knock on wood). I have a stepless modded MACAP MXT that I'm happy with at the moment. 19 grams in 18 seconds, relatively quiet (compared to other machines I've heard), consistent and fluffy grinds.

In anticipation of the upgrade itch, I ordered a Mazzer Major two weeks ago that is currently being painted... then I got antsy and ordered a Mazzer Robur that's en route to me.

Anyways, as far as tamping goes, I know that automated tamping is considered kind of taboo for some here in this forum. I have a repeatable tamp that is now quite good... my wife however... So I was about to pull the trigger on an autotamper, but decided to take a crack at it myself with things I had around the house.

I was quite surprised that it worked so well. Perfectly level and much more consistent. Now my wife is a little less hesitant to whip herself up a latte at 5am instead of rousing me up from my slumber to do it for her.

Thanks for reading!

Sebastian