Quieting vibe pump - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by pizzaman383 »

erics wrote:it is fitted to the Quickmill QM67. You may need to send them a pic.
I've searched on-line but haven't found a site that will ship it to the US. I'll check with ChrisCoffee.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

earlgrey_44

#12: Post by earlgrey_44 »

t3steve wrote: I was thinking I could try completely encasing the pump in a noise absorbing rubber pad to reduce the noise at the source.
Has anyone tried this?
I had a similar idea along these general lines, in that I tried replacing my vibe pump mounts with something that I hoped would absorb a lot of the vibratory energy. I had already used dynamat and the other methods mentioned to damp panel resonance. That had helped quite a bit but I hoped that soaking up vibe energy at the source would help a lot more.

The little stock rubber pump isolators don't conduct vibration to the machine, and they serve to hold the pump in place so it won't contact other machine components, but they do little to absorb the waste energy. I replaced them with a pair of relatively heavy slotted steel L brackets that gripped the pump on both ends. These in turn were bolted through a slot in the machine floor using fender washers and sorbothane pads. The idea was to couple the pump as directly as I could to the sorbothane.

The result was not as decisive as I had hoped. There was a good incremental gain, and I'm glad I did it since the machine is noticeably quieter, but there's still plenty of noise left over. Vibe pumps are odd because a) they vibrate a lot and b) they are very light weight, so damping them is difficult.

Short of any further inspiration, outboarding the vibe pump or using a rotary remain the most effective options.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Advertisement
kray

#13: Post by kray »

pizzaman383 wrote:I've done a bunch of work on my VBM to quiet the vibe pump and it's been fairly successful.
I'd love to see som pictures of your work. I've been thinking about doing some of the same things to my VBM.

bas

#14: Post by bas »

I have just replaced the Ulka EX5 pump by an EX4 pump with a Quickmill Pulsor on my QM Silvano.
I have done it with a DC mini as well in the past.
The Silvano is as quiet as a rotary pump machine at the moment.
No vibrations and resonance at all.
And maximum pressure is reached after 10 seconds in stead of 5 seconds.
Kind of active preinfusion.
Both the DC mini and the SIlvano benefit from the slower pressure buildup of the EX4 pump because they lack a preinfusion chamber.
I have to say that the Silvano in this configuration is hard to beat in terms of ease of use, temperature stability, shot quality and silent operation.
I do not understand why manufacturers do not install EX4 pumpt and a Pulsor as a standard procedure.
Bas

Iskanda

#15: Post by Iskanda »

The EX4 (or EP4) is the recommended pump for coffeemachines (by CEME, the manufacturer of these pumps).

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by pizzaman383 »

kray wrote:I'd love to see som pictures of your work. I've been thinking about doing some of the same things to my VBM.
Basically, I did three things. First, I adjusted tubing bends so there was no touching of components wherever possible. Second, I put the soft side of velcro on any point where there might be contact between metal pieces or components. Third, I put dynamite on all the surfaces I could (even the bottom of the machine).

When my Ulka pump started misbehaving I replaced it with a fluid-o-tech vibe pump and a direct plumb-in kit. The Ulka with a quickmill pulser (available from Chris Coffee) or the fluid-o-tech does seem a little quieter.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

earlgrey_44

#17: Post by earlgrey_44 »

Third, I put dynamite on all the surfaces

Hope you didn't detonate yet. I know it's noisy,but it's not that bad!
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Advertisement
pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by pizzaman383 »

:shock: dynomat - darn spell checker.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

ash4889

#19: Post by ash4889 »

Would love to see a video of the work you've done?

cannonfodder
Team HB

#20: Post by cannonfodder »

I would have loved to see dynamite.
Dave Stephens