Quickmill Vetrano 2B EVO poor steam pressure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
goalerjones

#1: Post by goalerjones »

I have a Vetrano 2b, and have been using the 4 hole stock tip that came with the machine since 2017. I've noticed a drop in steam pressure which makes prepping the milk take longer than making 2 espressos. Pressure doesn't drop out of the green zone.

I've read another thread which recommended the IZZO 3 tip package, and I will order those tonight, but when I first bought the machine it didn't have steam issues, even using the stock 4 hole tip. I've recently (within the last 3 months) had a thorough professional cleaning/descaling done, but the poor sustained pressure remains an issue. I did notice the joystick lever assembly works best in only the full left or full downward positions, the others sometimes fail to lock in place.

Most recent steps taken: Increased boiler temp from 250f to 255f. Cleaned out the tip.

Am I missing something or is this a sign of a more serious issue?

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

I'm going to answer as if what you're really saying is that you have poor steam flow... One of your sentences stated that the pressure remained in the green zone and that you've already upped the temperature to increase the pressure.

If the volume of steam from the wand tapers off quickly and you can see the pressure dropping on the gauge, then that is very likely an overfilled boiler (Very small steam pocket above the liquid water). Possibly as simple to fix as descaling the probe of the auto-fill solenoid.

If the flow is steady, just much weaker than you were used to, then it's probably a blockage at the valve or somewhere in the steam arm or tip (I know you've cleaned the tip, the valve would be the likely place, or the bulkhead fitting where the valve is attached to the machine.)

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

JRising wrote:If the volume of steam from the wand tapers off quickly and you can see the pressure dropping on the gauge, then that is very likely an overfilled boiler (Very small steam pocket above the liquid water). Possibly as simple to fix as descaling the probe of the auto-fill solenoid.
+1

I would examine and clean the probe 1st and test before trying anything else.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

coffee-fox
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by coffee-fox »

Most likely the problem is located in the steam valve. A component in the valve is getting stuck or no opening fully. Maybe a partial blockage.

I suggest disassembling the steam joystick valve , cleaning, replacing the seals and adding some DOW111 lube.

Quick Mill joystick steam/hot water rebuild kit:
https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/qu ... ebuild-kit
Michael Davis

goalerjones (original poster)

#5: Post by goalerjones (original poster) »

I guess I could install the knob assembly again. Initially I requested the joysticks, but it came with knobs. They shipped them to me when they were back in stock. As for the probe, I just had the whole machine descaled, including the probe (I assume, since I haven't actually inspected their work although that was specifically requested). I don't have to purge excess water out like before the descaling, I just have a delay in the initial power of the steam. Once I get rolling all is good, but I usually only make one latte per day, so I purge, extract my double shot, then steam while I'm extracting the latte shot.

cafeIKE

#6: Post by cafeIKE »

I'd guess a fowled valve.

Buy a rebuild kit, tear it down and reassemble with HiTemp food safe silicone lubricant.

Haynes Lubricant Food Grade Grease-Silicone @ site sponsor Espresso Care

It's less 'sticky' than the DOW lubricant