Quickmill Anita - help me diagnose problems and repair - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Velomane

#11: Post by Velomane »

Also, you should consider changing the O-ring on the bottom part of the OPV, as well as using teflon tape when reinstalling it.

lel (original poster)

#12: Post by lel (original poster) »

Henry, you are right, my vacuum breaker valve looks exactly like one on your picture.
As for OPV "piston" insert - I need to locate it first.
Is it the same valve that is used to adjust a brew pressure?
I am just getting familiar with my machine's internals. Is there a good picture with the parts named or explosion diagram for Anita?

Velomane

#13: Post by Velomane »

Yes, that's the valve. Have a look at http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/local--fi ... _Valve.pdf for a detailed article on how it works. On page three of the pdf, you'll see a good image of the valve taken apart. Yours is the rightmost one depicted.

As far as good images of the insides of your machine, I find that erics seems to have a fantastic collection of them. I keep a folder of them for reference.

lel (original poster)

#14: Post by lel (original poster) »

I have disassembled vacuum breaker valve today. That little rubber ring was completely dry and fell apart when I tried to remove it. That explains why a steam was escaping. I cut off a new rubber ring but did not succeed in it - a steam is escaping even more. I will be ordering new vacuum breaker valve from Chris.
I was able to remove only the first 3 parts of the valve, the base and the "cup washer" remain attached to the boiler. Should I just apply more pressure or are there more civilized ways to remove it?

After that I have separated the flow from OPV and priming valve attached to the pump as Eric suggested in this topic:
Line A goes to the pump suction - this can remain untouched.
Line B comes from the OPV.
Line C comes from the priming valve attached to the Ulka pump.

I did 15 second flush and measured the water from both lines. Line B output was 2 oz, line C was 0.75 oz. Thus looks like something is wrong with OPV. I will disassemble it to take a look.

lel (original poster)

#15: Post by lel (original poster) »

I have disassembled OPV, the rubber seat has multiple cracks on top of it and the rubber part is very brittle. I will order it too. Does Chris sell the insulation for the boiler? In my machine it is all cracked and falling apart.

erics
Supporter ★

#16: Post by erics »

Should I just apply more pressure or are there more civilized ways to remove it?
No.

The lower portion of the vacuum breaker valve, along with all of the other water/steam fittings on the boiler, is sealed with thread sealer. I removed mine with a small, ADJUSTABLE, air impact wrench but this is a job not suited for the average home-barista - you can end up twisting some lines you didn't intend to. Espresso machine fittings are "sorta" a combination of english and metric sizes and a good fit with either is the exception rather than the rule.

You MAY be able to order all of these parts from Great Infusions - http://www.greatinfusions.com/ - they buy a lot of machines from Chris' Coffee. Your list should include: new vacuum breaker, silicone hose, OPV insert, OPV adjuster o-ring (as per Mike's suggestion), small tube of food-safe lubricant, new style boiler insulation (about $15-20 BTW). I would order two of the OPV inserts and a spare shower screen/grouphead gasket while I was at it.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

erics
Supporter ★

#17: Post by erics »

In addition, and borrowing Henry's pic, I refer to the numbered parts below:

A new teflon valve seat (2) CAN BE a tight fit in the housing (5). I would heat the machine up for about 15 minutes (use the on/off switch to avoid steaming up your work space) and then insert the new valve (3) and valve seat (2). Teflon tape/thread sealer is not necessary here - the new top (1) compresses the seat (2) and seals it well.

Spare o-rings for the vacuum breaker and others are as listed here: O-rings & Copper Sealing Washers.
Skål,

Eric S.

lel (original poster)

#18: Post by lel (original poster) »

erics wrote: You MAY be able to order all of these parts from Great Infusions - http://www.greatinfusions.com/ - they buy a lot of machines from Chris' Coffee. Your list should include: new vacuum breaker, silicone hose, OPV insert, OPV adjuster o-ring (as per Mike's suggestion), small tube of food-safe lubricant, new style boiler insulation (about $15-20 BTW). I would order two of the OPV inserts and a spare shower screen/grouphead gasket while I was at it.
Eric, thank you for the advice. I start to understand more but still have a lot of questions. I do not see all those parts listed on Great Infusions web site. Should I just give them a call and order over a phone?
As for "new vacuum breaker" - do you mean that I do not need to remove the housing and should just replace the internal parts (2,3 and 4) inside the valve?
"OPV adjuster o-ring" - is it a rubber ring around a bottom part of OPV?

erics
Supporter ★

#19: Post by erics »

Should I just give them a call and order over a phone?
Yes, and whatever parts they don't have, e.g. boiler insulation, Chris' Coffee does.

As regards the vacuum breaker, leave the housing in the boiler and replace parts 1,2,3,& 4.

The o-ring for the OPV adjuster is not necessarily mandatory but would, most definitely, be a very good idea. You will only see the o-ring when you fully unscrew the adjustment - have several paper towels below to catch the drips.
Skål,

Eric S.

lel (original poster)

#20: Post by lel (original poster) »

One last question: Great Infusions sells 2 sizes of vacuum breaker valves : 3/8" fitting and 1/2" fitting. Which one do I need?