Quick Mill Dual Boiler model 0992?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Beezer

#1: Post by Beezer »

Just saw this posted on Chris' Coffee's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/chriscoffeeserv ... =1&theater

Looks pretty interesting, especially if the price is right.
Lock and load!

jonny

#2: Post by jonny »

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... ems/qm0992
Looks like a pretty tempting deal on the pre-order! Cheaper than the Andreja Premium!

Advertisement
Possepat

#3: Post by Possepat »

Deeeeecent! That is a nice little machine! Slicker than chicken snot on a pump handle. I love how the steam boiler is PIDed. Very nice price attached as well!

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... sso/qm0992
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

MikeMooney

#4: Post by MikeMooney »

"Chicken snot on a pump handle." Hey, they are looking for a name for this machine... :lol:

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by uscfroadie »

That is sure to be a great selling machine. It has all the buzzwords in the stats for a great price point, so it'll be on many newcomers' short list of machines. With only a .8L steam boiler w/ a 1K heating element, it'll not be known as a rocking steamer, but something has to give for its size and price.
Merle

rgs1218

#6: Post by rgs1218 replying to uscfroadie »

Agreed--have some concern about steaming power as well but my guess being able to run both heating elements simultaneously off a 15 amp circuit (and as you mentioned, price) probably had something to do with it. Depending on performance, at that price it should certainly give the current home DB machines from Alex, Vibiemme, Expobar and the upcoming Rocket a run for their money.

Beezer (original poster)

#7: Post by Beezer (original poster) »

At that price, it's very competitive. Most other DB e-61 machines are well over 2,000. Of course, most of them are also plumb-in capable and have rotary pumps, but something has to give to get the price down. Should be a very popular machine.

The outside looks very much like the Anita or Andreja, which is a good thing. Not particularly fancy, but it has everything you need. Looks like there are two switches for power, perhaps one for each boiler?

Are the steam and hot water wands insulated? They look like it in the picture, but the description just says stainless steel. I actually prefer the "burn me" style wand that comes on Anita versus the no burn wands. It's easier to make microfoam with.

The steam boiler does seem small, but could still be powerful. The La Spaz Mini Vivaldi also has a small steam boiler, but apparently it does a great job because it has a powerful heating element. Seems like they could do the same trick with this machine.

Anyone have suggestions for a name? "Model 0992" isn't going to appeal to anyone except droids. Maybe follow the Quickmill tradition of naming it after a person, usually a woman. Jessica, perhaps?
Lock and load!

Advertisement
jonny

#8: Post by jonny »

Beezer wrote:Are the steam and hot water wands insulated? They look like it in the picture, but the description just says stainless steel. I actually prefer the "burn me" style wand that comes on Anita versus the no burn wands. It's easier to make microfoam with.
I would bet they are insulated since they don't have rubber grips. I'm sure Chris could probably swap them out upon purchase if you wanted. I have heard a lot of complaints about insulated wands but I think it just depends on the individual machine. I've used a Synesso two group with double wall wands that worked great on my very first attempt, and I own a Maximatic (1.3 litres I believe) with a teflon insulated wand that works fabulously, so I'm under the impression that the downfalls of burnless wands are not across the board.

I suppose this machine needs a female name starting with the letter A. How about Aaliyah or Angelina or Anastasia?

Beezer (original poster)

#9: Post by Beezer (original poster) »

Yes, I'm sure they would be willing to swap wands. It's more of a personal preference than anything. Some people like the insulated wands, some don't. Personally, I don't care for them, but maybe I just need to practice more.

Perhaps Angelina? :lol:
Lock and load!

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by uscfroadie »

Beezer wrote:The steam boiler does seem small, but could still be powerful. The La Spaz Mini Vivaldi also has a small steam boiler, but apparently it does a great job because it has a powerful heating element. Seems like they could do the same trick with this machine.
Not a chance. 1000 watts on a .8L boiler is less than the Alexia; my first "real" machine, which had a 1400 watt element. It took me a good 40+ seconds to steam 5 ounces of milk with the standard small two-hole tip.
Merle