Quick Mill Carola EVO owner's thread and question

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
coffeegeekII

#1: Post by coffeegeekII »

Hi there,

So first of all massive thanks to narwhal for this outstanding review of the Quick Mill Carola EVO Quick Mill Carola EVO - Review & Photos. As I have now ordered a unit (to a great part convinced by this review!) I thought it would be useful to perhaps start a new thread (as that one has expired) for Carola owners and those interested in purchasing the machine.

I will kickstart the thread with a question (which will shamefully show how much of a rookie I am - oh well!) I see that the EVO now has a 3-way toggle switch, withmodes for off (0,) pump on (1,) and pump/heater on (2.). But why is this? Would the user ever want to have the pump on without having the heater on as well? Sadly Quick Mill's own manual is a bit difficult to decipher, especially on this part...

Thanks so much!

slipchuck

#2: Post by slipchuck »

The one part of the switch is for when you first fill the machine's boiler. This prevents the heating element from coming on and burning out (element needs to be submerged in water)

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

jgood

#3: Post by jgood »

I believe you can download the Carola manual from the Chris Coffee website -- oops I see you have it! It's good reading while you wait for it's arrival. And yes the #1 position is so that you can fill the boiler and flush the system without the heating element coming on (which would burn it out). After you've flushed the machine out by running water though the system, and you see it pouring out of the shower screen, it's OK to go to #2 position. This is just for setup or after a long period of not using the machine. Anyway its a great machine. I would get a bottomless portafilter asap as it'll really help with the learning curve -- I have the one made by Rocket which fits fine.

coffeegeekII (original poster)

#4: Post by coffeegeekII (original poster) »

Thank you both, that's super-useful! So I would only use position #1 when I *first* fill the boiler, or every time I do so? And when you say a long time of inactivity, I am assuming more than a few days or so, right? Again very useful, thanks - and yes, I have ordered the naked portafilter already, all I need now is for the QM itself to arrive :roll:

jgood

#5: Post by jgood »

Only need to use position 1 for the first use and if the machine is emptied or sits idle for several weeks (for that you've at least dumped out the water in the plastic reservoir). For the first use I filled the tank, set to position 1 and pulled the lever as if I was making an espresso and basically let it run for 45 seconds to fill a cup, took a break, repeated, until I had flushed it out with a reservoir or two of water. Then refilled and set to 1. I usually allow 30 minutes for warmup from cold. Towards the end of the warmup I put in the portafilter, run 5 - 10 secs into a cup to preheat the group -- don't know if that's necessary but I do it. A small digital scale (that can sit under the cup) is very helpful for measuring both dose and then output. My recipe is 20g ground coffee > 30 grams output in about 40 sec -- but tastes vary. I'm assuming you've gotten a grinder as well -- what did you get?

#6: Post by coffeegeekII (original poster) »

Thanks that's really super-useful. I did indeed pair it with a grinder, it's a Ceado E5P. Figured I don't need extra settings etc so I'm hoping this will do a good job. Which one do you have it paired with? Impressions?

jgood

#7: Post by jgood »

I''ve got a Baratza Vario -- been good -- at some point I'll do the "super alignment" on it.

#8: Post by coffeegeekII (original poster) »

What's the super-alignment? Now I'm curious :-)

jgood

#9: Post by jgood »

Do a search on this site for "Baratza Vario Super Alignment " -- it's specific to Varios and Forte grinders.

#10: Post by coffeegeekII (original poster) »

Got it! Some friends have a Preciso but even though this sounds cool I think it's over-complicated for their/our level of expertise right now. Apparently the QM and the EP5 will be with me on Monday, so I'll be here reporting on how things work out shortly after then - wish me luck :shock: