Questions about different Profitec Pro 300's from different vendors!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Supertrent1

#1: Post by Supertrent1 »

Hey everyone, first post here! Anyways, I currently have an order on WholeLatteLove for a profitec pro 300 15 AMP version which cannot heat up the steam and brew boilers at the same time. On CliveCoffee they state that with their 15 AMP version of the machine they are able to simultaneously heat both the brew and steam boilers at the same time. Unfortunately they don't answer phone calls on sunday and I believe my order from WLL will ship out on Monday unless I call and cancel it today. Is it worth it to get a refund for my order from WLL and reorder through Clive Coffee so that my machine will be able to heat both boilers at the same time? Any advice would be super helpful!

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

???
WLL site says
A unique feature of the machine is the fact that both boilers can operate at the same time to improve performance.
Mike McGinness

Supertrent1 (original poster)

#3: Post by Supertrent1 (original poster) replying to Compass Coffee »

Yes, both boilers can operate at the same time (brew and steam) but on WLL's pro 300 the heating elements cannot both operate simultaneously while on 15 amps (the only version they sell). I called WLL and verified this. Clive says that their 15 amp version is able to operate both heating elements simultaneously, I can't call them to verify whether that information is true or not because they don't have phone hours on sundays.

EDIT: Now reading on WLL's that "A unique feature of the machine is the fact that both boilers can operate at the same time to improve performance" will call WLL for 100% confirmation that on 15 amps it can use both heating elements and report back. I could have sworn they told me it didn't work that way before,

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

I'll also point out that the spec's listed on Clive Coffee of 1200w for both heaters makes it impossible for both to be on at the same time without asking for trouble. 2400w/120v=20A. Now as I believe the correctly listed 800w both boiler heaters on WLL would be 13.33A so fine on 15A circuit.
Mike McGinness

#5: Post by Supertrent1 (original poster) replying to Compass Coffee »

This is what I was thinking, I'm going to go ahead and assume that the machine Clive stocks and the machine WLL stocks are the same no matter the wording so I'm not going to cancel my order on WLL for the Profitec Pro 300. On a side note your roastery and Cafe look amazing! I currently work as a barista while in school and would love to one day pull shots on a slayer! The place I currently work uses a GB5 though so I can't complain too much. Thanks for you help, I'll definitely be ordering a bag of your beans when my machine makes its way to my house!

Edit: Realized it was a Synesso, still just as cool!

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Supertrent1 »

Indeed GB5 quite respectable machine. But once I bought the 3gr Cyncra summer 2014 (from a place going out of business) to replace the 4gr Linea at the Roastery and began exploring shot profiling it was downhill from there. :lol:

3gr Synesso Cyncra at the Roastery, 3gr Synesso Hydra at main coffeehouse Downtown Vancouver, ModBar x4 will be in our soon to open North Portland location, GS3 MP/Strada for catering or emergency backup duty etc. and Baby Slayer now up and running at home as of yesterday replacing Vesuvius. :D Oh and 3gr Linea and 3gr FB80 in my garage and 3gr GB5 in storage facility with bunch of other stuff from old location! Bought the GB5 (couple years old another place going out of business) targeted to go in our new Downtown location which was under build-out, replaced the in use FB80 with GB5 old location, then was able to spring for the Hydra instead when we moved from our old smaller Downtown spot January 23rd.
Mike McGinness

#7: Post by Supertrent1 (original poster) replying to Compass Coffee »

hi, its me, your son

Joking, but that's awesome! Would love to visit one of your shops sometime but for now I'll have to stick with a bag of coffee to suffice! Weird question, but I have a sticker collection, could you toss in a sticker for your company (if you have them) in with the order of coffee?

midwestnowaves

#8: Post by midwestnowaves »

I haven't tried steaming and pulling a shot at the same time on the Pro 300 that I bought from Clive, but can attest to the fact that you can pull a shot, steam and repeat with very little recovery. I don't have the same level of experience as most people on here, but the machine has exceeded expectations thus far. I read in a few places that a people were underwhelmed by the steam power but have had no issues. Today I made 3 double shot caps in very quick succession - something I'd never have been able to do with any kind of consistency on my little Gaggia Classic.

#9: Post by Supertrent1 (original poster) replying to midwestnowaves »

If you're on the 15 amp version of the machine I'm interested in knowing what your average warm up time is just to pull espresso as well as your average wait time before you're able to make a milk based drink like a latte!

zimberto

#10: Post by zimberto »

It looks to me like the V1 of the machine had two 1200W boilers. The only way to operate these on 15A (i.e. 15A x 120v = 1800W max) would be to alternate them in some way. The Pro 700 does this by first heating the brew boiler, and then heating the steam boiler while at the same time spiking the brew boiler to keep its temp level. It looks like V2 of the machine has two 800W boilers (1600W max) that can be operated simultaneously. What would this mean in practice? It would mean that V1 would be ready to brew faster (good for espresso drinkers), but V2 would be ready to both brew and steam faster (good for latte/cap drinkers). I guess we'd be talking a minute or two difference at most. I'm guessing that WLL's website is up to date but their sales rep is not. I'm guessing that Clive needs to adjust their published specs on the machine. I'm doing a lot of guessing, but I'd be really surprised if WLL's machines were different from Clive's.