Putting espresso machine away for a few weeks

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jesse.F

#1: Post by Jesse.F »

We are in the middle of redoing our kitchen, and I'm not going to have counters for several weeks, is there anything I need to do if my QM Carola is just going to sit unplugged for a few weeks? I'm thinking simply detergent back flush, then drain the boiler (with the heater off), but wasn't sure if there was any other steps.

Thanks

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Clean the group with a detergent backflush then flush with clean water and drain the boiler (it is an easy machine for that). Run a tank of water through when putting it back into service and all should be fine even after a month or two. Just keep it in a warm location so freezing is not an issue.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 22nd Anniversary 2000-2022 *

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

The only thing I would add might be that after you've done a detergent flush that you might do yet another flush with the reservoir filled with distilled water so that what remains might keep the rubber seals and washers moist with non-scaling water.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

BaristaMcBob

#4: Post by BaristaMcBob »

I would not drain the boiler and leave it empty, but instead fill it with distilled or demineralized water. Given enough time, this should reverse any limescale build-up in a non-toxic manner.* Then drain again and refill with normal water before use.

*I haven't actually done this and I am not sure if the limescale reversal will work when the water is at room temperature. However, based on experiments done in my head, it should work:)

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by bobkat »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:The only thing I would add might be that after you've done a detergent flush that you might do yet another flush with the reservoir filled with distilled water so that what remains might keep the rubber seals and washers moist with non-scaling water.
When you say, "flush with the reservoir filled with distilled water".....shouldn't that be R Pavlis water or similar? Isn't distilled water by itself corrosive on an espresso machine?

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to bobkat »

For a few weeks?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

cafeIKE
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by cafeIKE »

I used to travel for work for up to six weeks and I never did anything to a DB or HX save lock in a PF wiggle filled blind basket... and the machines are still running fine more than a decade later.

It could be that after weeks of road dreck, my taste buds were uncalibrated but shots always tasted fine. Water back then was Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser.

jgood

#8: Post by jgood »

I have left a Carola several times for periods of a month, and just drained the reservoir, and let the boiler be. On returning I refilled the reservoir and flushed out the machine using several tankfuls of water, I assume replacing all the boiler water. I can't remember if this was advice from HB or Chris Coffee. This obviously assumes no possibility of freezing.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Nunas »

The few times I've left our machines idle for a few weeks, I did nearly nothing. We always back flush (without chem) after each session. So, we just dump the reservoir and clean it. On return, we simply refill the reservoir, run a bit of water through before pulling the first shot, and carry on as normal. I've done this with our former HX and our current DB machines.

henri

#10: Post by henri »

Same here - my single boiler machine recently idled for 6 weeks with no preparations save a backflush with detergent. No ill effects.