Pump on for multiple minutes

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Rezam

#1: Post by Rezam »

Hi I just got my first machine. In the manual it said to start the machine in espresso mode, start the pump and open the wand for water to come out. This never happened and I let it ran for multiple minutes. After some time the pump turned off. After trying again after some time and using the water mode, water came out and I could pull a shot. My question is did I damage something by letting the pump run for so long?

n0d3

#2: Post by n0d3 »

What machine is this?

Rezam (original poster)

#3: Post by Rezam (original poster) »

A Lelit Anna

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

Hopefully the element isn't yet burnt.

See if you can get the seller to prime the pump for you so that it can fill its boiler (or they can replace it if the element is damaged).

If you can't get any assistance from the seller, you could take the top off, disconnect one of the element connections and place it safely where it can not contact anything, (or put a plastic bag over it. Then you can take your time trying to get the pump to prime without having to worry about the element burning.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#5: Post by RapidCoffee »

Rezam wrote:In the manual it said to start the machine in espresso mode, start the pump and open the wand for water to come out. This never happened and I let it ran for multiple minutes. After some time the pump turned off. After trying again after some time and using the water mode, water came out and I could pull a shot. My question is did I damage something by letting the pump run for so long?
How long is "multiple minutes"? If it's working properly now, you might be OK:
How to tell if vibratory pump is damaged?
John

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

The Anna uses a vibe pump. They have duty cycles, usually 50:50 on off with one minute max. If your machine shut down on its own, then it probably has a timer in the control box (some machines don't...I burnt one out once due to running too long :oops:

If your machine can pull shots and your pump gauge shows it is producing pressure (usually ~ 9-10 bar), then your pump is okay.

Usually, if a machine is run dry, the element burns out, or the outer part of it ruptures, letting water in. In such instances, your GFCI will pop. Most modern machines have a startup routine that prevents the element from coming on until the boiler shows full to the controller. Put your machine on a GFCI protected circuit and give it a go. If you can pull a shot, then you've dodged a bullet :lol: .

JRising
Team HB

#7: Post by JRising »

Lelit Anna 2s have no brains.
They are a SBDU, no boiler fill probe or anything, just a brew boiler capable of being heated to steam temperature. No "Position 1" on the the mains switch to keep the element off until the machine is ready to heat.

If the pump doesn't prime, then the element will heat dry. The machine should be shut off if the user doesn't hear the pump successfully prime in the first 10 or so seconds, but the manual doesn't describe anything like that and many people wouldn't understand what to listen for.

Luckily, because it's an SBDU (No Steam Pocket above the water-line), the top of the element is really close to those safety thermostats. They usually save the element's life and the new owner only needs to figure out how to reset a thermostat rather than how to replace an element.

Rezam (original poster)

#8: Post by Rezam (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote:How long is "multiple minutes"? If it's working properly now, you might be OK:
How to tell if vibratory pump is damaged?
5-10 Minutes

I got about 180ml in 30sec

Edit: Got around 9 bar pressure for my espresso

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#9: Post by RapidCoffee »

Rezam wrote:5-10 Minutes
I got about 180ml in 30sec
Edit: Got around 9 bar pressure for my espresso
Running the pump dry for 5-10 minutes :shock: is certainly not recommended, but your other numbers (180/30=6ml/s water debit and 9bar pressure) look good. So congrats, you may have dodged a bullet.
John