Pullman Espresso Baskets

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
NoStream

Postby NoStream » Oct 08, 2018, 12:28 pm

Curious if anyone has tried these. (876 hole baskets)

Pullman claimed tested higher extraction yield but didn't provide details. (I presume they tested vs bad stock baskets.)

I ordered one 17-19 and one 19-22 and will see how they work out vs VST.

liquidmetal

Postby liquidmetal » Oct 08, 2018, 1:17 pm

Will you be testing with a refractometer? I'd be very curious in seeing the results.

NoStream

Postby NoStream » replying to liquidmetal » Oct 08, 2018, 2:35 pm

Yep, planning on it. If they extract higher than VST, I'll be very impressed.

Probably not going to do so in a proper experimental way, just see if there's any obvious difference.

HBchris

Postby HBchris » Oct 08, 2018, 2:37 pm

I am also curious of this vs VST.

I see this post on their instagram about their new "876" baskets

https://www.instagram.com/p/BofkPV8gY8b/

NoStream

Postby NoStream » replying to HBchris » Oct 08, 2018, 3:09 pm

Apparently, VSTs are 727 hole, according to Socratic Coffee. Not sure if there's any difference in total surface area, basket shape, or hole geometry.

(For the record, I ordered the newer 876 baskets.)

Maconi

Postby Maconi » Oct 09, 2018, 12:42 pm

Hrm, I bought a basket from them around a month ago. I wonder which version I have? The website doesn't appear to indicate a difference so I assume they're just silently switching over?

Size wise their baskets are basically VST (tampers made for VST work perfectly in the Pullman as well). I'd be interested to see extraction data for the difference in holes though. It looks like the old Pullman baskets were 715 holes.

NoStream

Postby NoStream » replying to Maconi » Oct 09, 2018, 12:48 pm

It would appear that they're marked on the side.

def

Postby def » Oct 10, 2018, 8:10 pm

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but who supplies the new 876 hole Pullman baskets in the US?

NoStream

Postby NoStream » replying to def » Oct 10, 2018, 9:09 pm

I ordered from Prima and should receive them soon. I will post in several weeks when I have an opinion on them.

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/pullman/basket

def

Postby def » replying to NoStream » Oct 11, 2018, 8:40 am

I asked Prima this morning; they said that current stock at Prima is the 715 hole version. No other details offered, but my guess is that they want to clear out their inventory before ordering the 876 hole newer version.

I'm looking forward to a comparison with 715 hole Pullman and VST. I currently use and am happy with VST ridge-less basket and Pullman Big Step tamper.