Puck screen experience? - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBob

#41: Post by BaristaBob »

With an Astrophysicist (Jonathan Gagne) saying that he uses a top screen, but has not observed an increase in EY...I have an idea. Would anyone here want to try this...

Needed: 20g basket (for the head space)/3 puck screens
1) grind 18g as normal
2) weigh out 6 grams into PF and perform WDT
3) add first puck screen
4) repeat step 2
5) add second puck screen
6) repeat step 2 one more time
7) tamp
8') add last puck screen
9) pull shot

I know, no one is going to want to do all this prep work but if it were to produce the "god shot" every time...just maybe?? EY values would be nice to have as well. :?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

cafeIKE

#42: Post by cafeIKE »

è espresso, non interminabile...

boren

#43: Post by boren »

To those who mentioned using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the puck screen, any recommended cleaner?

BaristaBob

#44: Post by BaristaBob replying to boren »

The ultrasonic cleaner sounds like a good idea, but I just throw it in the dishwasher overnight. Looks clean, but it does build up an oily residue over time. As long as they're stainless steel, place it in Calfiza for 15 minutes along with your baskets...pesto...clean!

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by Pressino »

BaristaBob wrote:With an Astrophysicist (Jonathan Gagne) saying that he uses a top screen, but has not observed an increase in EY...I have an idea. Would anyone here want to try this...
I'm not an astrophysicist, but I have actually experimented by extracting espresso using exactly the same parameters with and without a puck screen (Normcore 1.7mm) and I found that EY is indeed increased with use of the puck screen. Maybe it was the coffee I was using, but the difference in EY was clear enough. :D

baldheadracing
Team HB

#46: Post by baldheadracing »

boren wrote:To those who mentioned using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the puck screen, any recommended cleaner?
Cafiza
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BaristaBob

#47: Post by BaristaBob »

Pressino wrote:I'm not an astrophysicist, but I have actually experimented by extracting espresso using exactly the same parameters with and without a puck screen (Normcore 1.7mm) and I found that EY is indeed increased with use of the puck screen. Maybe it was the coffee I was using, but the difference in EY was clear enough. :D
Interesting, what type of machine do you have? This could be the reason. It appears that those with LM's observe a noticeable slowdown in extraction time when using a top screen. On my BDB, I do not.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by Pressino »

I used a Profitec 700 for the testing, and kept parameters the same, including FCD valve setting.

slybarman

#49: Post by slybarman »

i just got a puck screen to try out and I'm finding the pucks in my Bianca are soupier with the screen, not drier like others have mentioned.

i agree with ike and a couple others that I'm not entirely sure the juice is worth the squeeze, but I'll give it a week or two before deciding.

scrane

#50: Post by scrane »

I have been using a screen for the last six months. My one and only need is that it prevents contamination upstream in my Lelit E. The screen is 99.9% effective at doing this.
I have no problem dumping the puck from the basket or separating the screen from the puck. I wash the screen along with the basket in the sink with hot water and dishwashing detergent.
I fail to understand the drama this little gadget seems to generate.