Puck screen experience? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BaristaBob

#31: Post by BaristaBob »

spopinski wrote:You can pre heat the puck with your portafilter.
Same here, just drop the screen inside my PF, lock into group head, and allow both to warm up.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by PIXIllate »

waves wrote:It feels like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. If it improved shot quality it would be okay, but when it slows my workflow down considerably and I'm either having to fish it out while the puck and the screen are hot, wack a hot portafilter with my hand, and try and separate it from the puck and create a mess on the counter or come back later once it's cooled down it's not worth it for me. All of which takes much longer and is more awkward than my usual clean-up routine which is quick and easy.

How much cleaner it keeps the group head in the long term could sway me if it was giving the machine an extended life, but people have been running e61 machines for decades with the backflush routines and there doesn't seem to be any problems.

I'll keep using it for a little bit to see if I can get the workflow to work but it's likely to end up on the shelf at this rate.
Agree

stelee987

#33: Post by stelee987 »

just picked up a 58.5mm puck screen to try it out. it slowed down the shot very slightly, which makes sense since it increases resistance to the flow of water, but the extraction started as a slight donut shape in the beginning before filling out to a single center stream, and the shot actually tasted slightly less extracted (of course this is subjective - no refractometer here).
definitely helps with cleanliness since i don't have to flush the grouphead as much immediately before pulling out the portafilter. reading this forum seems most people don't have very convincing results to keep using it for a better tasting shot. any people with positive experiences to share?

NelisB

#34: Post by NelisB »

I have used it since I bought it last year. Very happy with it. I think the extraction is much more consistent and I very much like a clean group. You have to daily in al little different from no screen. If you have it right you won't experience less extracted shots.

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#35: Post by cafeIKE »

stelee987 wrote:just picked up a 58.5mm puck screen to try it out. it slowed down the shot very slightly, which makes sense since it increases resistance to the flow of water, but the extraction started as a slight donut shape in the beginning before filling out to a single center stream, and the shot actually tasted slightly less extracted (of course this is subjective - no refractometer here).
definitely helps with cleanliness since i don't have to flush the grouphead as much immediately before pulling out the portafilter. reading this forum seems most people don't have very convincing results to keep using it for a better tasting shot. any people with positive experiences to share?
Screens do not increase water resistance. They reduce headspace, which forces the expanded puck to be more compact. If one has plenty of headspace, they don't do diddly for the shot.

The donut is caused because proportionally there is less resistance at the wall / puck interface than inter-particle mid puck.

Perhaps the group maybe a bit cleaner, but the hassle of futzing with the screen is way more effort than giving the group a scrub after each shot.

All three I tried are in the NBT* bin never to see the light of day again. A complete WoFTaM.

* Next Big Thing

Capuchin Monk

#36: Post by Capuchin Monk »

cafeIKE wrote:* Next Big Thing
Porcupress?

bluesnote

#37: Post by bluesnote »

My experience has been all positive haha. . .

I use a Normcore 58.5mm screen in a standard Breville 18g basket - mostly loaded at 17.5g

Brew time and pressure are pretty well unchanged with or without the puck screen - taste is beyond my palette to discern.

The pros for me are clean workflow, the screen is easily removed by a gentle tap onto a damp cloth sitting on the division between two sinks, another gentle tap removes a very clean puck into the knock box. A quick dry wipe inside the basket and I'm ready to pull another shot. When finished I flush the grouphead and porta, rinse the screen and enjoy the brew. The knock box remains clean with no liquid and grounds - simples 8)

I guess different machines/portas/groupheads may behave differently? The BDB is quite happy.

Chris

toomuchcoffee

#38: Post by toomuchcoffee »

I'd have to agree in saying that puck screens are certainly part of my workflow but only for lighter roasts. Takes an extra five seconds, so I can't buy the argument that it slows down your routine. Plus the whole routine is meant to be part of the experience, so I enjoy it.

The puck screen certainly keeps things clean and tight. I have less channeling. A more controlled and longer pre-infusion before I start to see beading. And the most important thing it helps me with: consistency. Every shot is always the same for me with the screen.

Does it lead to less numbers on paper? Sure. Can I notice it? Nope. Not trained enough to notice crazy minute differences in pulls, and never will be!

At the end of the day, to each their own, and whatever floats your boat is all that counts.

Pprior

#39: Post by Pprior »

I added a puck screen to my Breville Oracle Touch and the difference in taste was immediately noticeable. My machine grinds heavy (21-21.5g even when dialed to minimum) and my grouphead was constantly filthy with large amounts of grounds before. Pucks also were constantly wet. My therory has been for my machine that some of the top coffee was getting up in suspension and over-extracting before and with the puck screen keeping pressure down on the entire puck this isn't happening.

The group head stays super clean. My pucks now knock into the box almost completely dry and the screen and basket get a quick rinse and it really takes minimal time. I absolutely love my screen.