Puck screen experience? - Page 14

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
baldheadracing
Team HB

#131: Post by baldheadracing »

Nunas wrote:... I have an idea, that I've never tried. That is, if one uses a sintered metal puck screen, or maybe even a thin puck screen. Then, maybe one wouldn't need to have a shower screen in the machine.
Flair 58 went that route.

Due to the difficulty in obtaining a Cremina '67 shower screen, I ran my Oly Club without a shower screen for a few months - just using a thin puck screen. It worked, but I did not check if things were made better or worse.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BaristaBob

#132: Post by BaristaBob »

Nunas wrote:I can't comment from experience with this screen, or the with machines that have screws holding their shower screens in place. But I have plenty of experience with sintered metal puck screens; I bought a couple of generic ones mostly to prove they do nothing :mrgreen: , only to keep using them for some years :shock: .

One of the things a sintered metal puck screen (n.p.c. thin puck screens) does is to keep the puck somewhat compacted during the preinfusion phase. It takes up the space above the puck, or much of it. When the coffee grains expand, they are then forced into any voids in the puck. I believe that this is why some folks report less channeling when using a sintered metal screen. This one would leave a space between the periphery of the shower screen screw and the edge of that big hole in the centre. I'm not at all sure if this would have any meaningful effect on the foregoing limitation of expansion, but it must have some. My guess is that it would work, but with an unknown amount of degradation in effect, compared to a standard puck screen.

Another noticeable effect of the sintered metal puck screen is to prevent coffee grains from "swimming upstream", after the pull, as the puck rebounds from the intense compression of the pull. Again, depending on the amount of coffee that might get past the space between the screw and the hole, I'd expect some slight degradation, but have no idea whatsoever if it would be a meaningful amount.
I agree with your logic!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

BaristaBob

#133: Post by BaristaBob »

erik996 wrote:I just started using a normcore one with the hole with my GS3. The group screw does protrude and leaves an indentation in my puck, so there isn't enough headspace for a standard screen. I could get a bigger basket, but the screen with the hole has calmed my shots down
Considering I'm about to pull the trigger on a gs3 mp, this makes me wonder how many small things will change in my puck prep routine...seems the hole in the top screen to accommodate the center screw is just one way to solve this problem. What about a modified screw that is flat?

Jeff
Team HB

#134: Post by Jeff »

Mainly recessed screws are available "for a price".

I'm not sure they are needed. You quickly learn to dose the basket appropriately ...

...especially if you bend a puck screen the first time you lock in a basket.

BaristaBob

#135: Post by BaristaBob replying to Jeff »

Ouch!

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#136: Post by Milligan »

Been there on a GS3. Doesn't take much!

michael

#137: Post by michael »

Currently dosing 19gs with the 20g e&b superfine baskets; I use the sworks screen and have not had any marks on the screen 8)

Pigeontree

#138: Post by Pigeontree »

I suffered with dented pucks & puck screens on my LM Micra, even went to a larger basket to add more headroom, was still getting screw indentations even just in the puck sans the screen. My solution to the problem was ditching the standard puck screens and getting some of the ultra-thin screens from Sworks, it completely solved my problem and even allowed me to go back down to the smaller basket, there is no denting of the puck screen or the puck, and the group-head is kept clean, an absolute game changer. No need for a hole in the puck screen, which I would be worried would cause issues of its own.

michael

#139: Post by michael »

Yes, great product 8)

JavaRanger

#140: Post by JavaRanger »

I've been tempted to buy a screen. I'll have to work on my dosing a bit more before I invest in one.