Puck screen experience? - Page 11

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#101: Post by DoubleR »

I've been following this thread with interest since I've been using a puck screen since getting my new machine. The comments around head room are new to me with regards to being an advantage of the puck screen. I have a 1.7mm puck screen and have been using 15g VST baskets. I've been dosing my basket up to 14g in order to leave space for the puck screen. The comments around head room have my head spinning. My original thought was that if I dose to 15g and add a puck screen I might damage the shower screen due to the puck screen pushing against it. Should I abandon this thought if I want to continue using puck screens? This morning I dosed at 14.5g and the only difference I noticed was a drier, less soupy, puck. Very curious on this point.

loscorrales

#102: Post by loscorrales »

I'm using 58mm paper filters now, the workflow it's similar but, I don't have to take out the puckscreen out of the puck after extraction. It goes to the trash and nothing to do or clean.

Pressino

#103: Post by Pressino »

Some folks do use filter paper instead of a puck screen on top of the puck, but I'm not sure that it will work the same ways. The lighter weight and more flexible filter paper might not prevent the puck from being sucked upward in machines with a 3-way solenoid valve. I also wonder if the filter paper will be as effective as the thicker screen in keeping the group head even if it doesn't get sucked up. Certainly if it gets sucked up and the puck gets disrupted, some of the stuff will get sucked back into the group.

It's certainly easier to simply discard the filter paper in the knock box, but with my machine and coffee prep I've found that the 1.7mm screen just falls clear for easy pick up with the first light tap on the knocker, while the second sharper rap knocks the puck loose.

As far as cleaning the screen goes, I experimented with ultrasonic but found a much easier effective way to get it clean. I rinse the portafilter and basket, set the screen in it, sprinkle a couple of grains of Joe Glow on the screen, insert the portafilter in the group and flush for 5 or so seconds and rinse the screen under the faucet. Do that every 5th or 6th shot. In between I just rinse the screen for a couple of seconds along with the portafilter. That seems to keep the screen quite clean. :)

Pressino

#104: Post by Pressino »

edit:

The phrase: "...in keeping the group head even if it doesn't get sucked up" makes little sense.

It should have been:

"...in keeping the group head clean even if it doesn't get sucked up." :oops:

Maak

#105: Post by Maak »

I've been using a puck screen for over a year on both an older lapavoni commercial and my need gs3mp. There is a difference for me on both machines even with pre wetting or a slow preinfusion on the GS3MP.

They do take up headroom though and the easiest way to allow for this is simply a bigger basket. Pucks swell quite a bit over the brew period and can bend the puck screen over the screw quite a bit.

Interestingly Socratic Coffee just did some research on puck screens but the results are not on their blog yet, check their socials. For me though I don't always get a longer brew time with the screen, and if you do this could be just from the reduced headroom compressing the puck more.

loscorrales

#106: Post by loscorrales »

Pressino wrote:Some folks do use filter paper instead of a puck screen on top of the puck, but I'm not sure that it will work the same ways. The lighter weight and more flexible filter paper might not prevent the puck from being sucked upward in machines with a 3-way solenoid valve. I also wonder if the filter paper will be as effective as the thicker screen in keeping the group head even if it doesn't get sucked up. Certainly if it gets sucked up and the puck gets disrupted, some of the stuff will get sucked back into the group.

It's certainly easier to simply discard the filter paper in the knock box, but with my machine and coffee prep I've found that the 1.7mm screen just falls clear for easy pick up with the first light tap on the knocker, while the second sharper rap knocks the puck loose.

As far as cleaning the screen goes, I experimented with ultrasonic but found a much easier effective way to get it clean. I rinse the portafilter and basket, set the screen in it, sprinkle a couple of grains of Joe Glow on the screen, insert the portafilter in the group and flush for 5 or so seconds and rinse the screen under the faucet. Do that every 5th or 6th shot. In between I just rinse the screen for a couple of seconds along with the portafilter. That seems to keep the screen quite clean. :)
Mine has 3way solenoid valve too, but it doent suck de puck with the paper, try it, it's speedy than a metal disk