Profitec Pro 800 inline water pressure help

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Grg102

#1: Post by Grg102 »

Hello all,
First off thank you all in advance for the help. I am new to the home-espresso game. I finally purchased my Profitec pro 800. I have been using the machine for about 6 months. I then realized my inline water pressure is too high.

So my setup is plumbed in. I purchased the BWT Bestmax water filter kit as it has everything I should need and be perfect for the setup. This water filter includes a pressure reducer valve. The recommended inline water pressure for this machine per Profitec is 2-3 bars of inline pressure. I am only able to achieve as low as 4 bars of inline pressure. I am 100% certain I set it up correctly. I have turned the gauge on the pressure reducer ALL THE WAY to the lowest pressure possible, and am still only able to get down to 4 bars of inline pressure. The Profitec itself is reading 1-1.2t bars of pressure which is what I need. The frustrating thing about it is that the BWT bestmax states "guaranteed pressure from 2-8 bars".

Am I damaging my machine because of this number? Am I impacting shot quality because of this? Do I need a SECOND pressure reducer to achieve 2-3 bars? Given the design of the Profitec pro 800, is 4 bars inline pressure unacceptable? Does anyone else run around 4 bars with a similar machine?
I spent so much time and money to get to this point now this one thing Is driving me crazy please help!!. Any advice of solutions would be wonderful. Thanks again !!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB.

I don't think you are hurting your equipment at all. Speak to the dealer you purchased your equipment from on this matter. Our line pressure on or direct plumbed machine is at a higher pressure (about 5-bar) with no ill effect on the equipment or the shots.

As long as the espresso tastes great and there are no leaks, there is little concern till you find the proper solution.

Beautiful setup BTW.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Grg102 (original poster)

#3: Post by Grg102 (original poster) »

I have sent them an email as well. Thank you so much for the reassurance!

Grg102 (original poster)

#4: Post by Grg102 (original poster) »

I wonder if the BWT water filter pressure-reducer is faulty/ broken in some way then

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

If the pressure regulator isn't able to reduce your downstream pressure to 2 bar, there is something wrong with it(Or the gauge is wrong). Do you have the regulator installed after (downstream) of the BWT BestHead?
It certainly isn't hurting a Pro 800 to let 4 bar in to the pump inlet, but you could appreciate the ability to lower inlet pressure for pre-infusion if the regulator were working properly.

truemagellen

#6: Post by truemagellen »

Well lets first break down the pressure reading on the machine and shot quality.

The Pro 800 is a Dipper lever. That means there is a big steam boiler and then a grouphead with basically a straw sticking down into the water of the steam boiler.

Water from the line is fed with a solenoid into the boiler. Line pressure overcomes the steam pressure and allows water into the tank (there is also a backflow preventer to eliminate the chance water goes back out the line if pressure drops). With it setup in tank mode, the pump provides the water pressure to overcome the steam boiler pressure for filling.

So what this means is, the water inlet pressure only impacts the fill solenoid and the fill hoses. After water enters the boiler and reaches the water level sensor it stops filling. So it has zero impact on the boiler pressure reading, that is determined by steam pressure and it has zero impact on your shot as the boiler pressure is what determines preinfusion pressure. The actual brew pressure after infusion is determined only by the spring applying force on a piston to the water to create pressure.

So have you damaged your system? highly unlikely as 4bar is not good for straining your solenoid and hoses but they are designed to withstand higher pressures to prevent failure.

And yes as someone else pointed out...it could be a faulty pressure gauge on the bestwax system, could be the regulator, etc. They should replace for you. Just go ahead and have them replace it or quickly order the regulator kit from Chris Coffee or elsewhere.

Image/Video Dan posted to help you understand the workings of your machine.

Good luck!

Grg102 (original poster)

#7: Post by Grg102 (original poster) »

So I have been playing with it, turning the dial l the way up and down to note any changes. I had turned the dial down all the down one final time, then overnight it now decided to go down to 2 bars of pressure. Maybe it was my impatience but I guess it needed the time to equalize the pressure, which I didn't expect. Anyway the issue is now resolved. Al that stress and time for nothing haha. You guys are the best I appreciate all the input !!

maxbmello

#8: Post by maxbmello »

I have found on my system, the inlet pressure gauge is only accurate when the boiler is actually filling. So if your solenoid is not engaged and water is not flowing, you adjusting pressure won't do anything to the gauge.

As someone mentioned, extra inlet pressure won't really affect anything with your machine, and certainly not your shots.

If you want to test it out, turn your machine off when up to pressure, and drain a substantial amount of water through the group head or hot water wand. When you turn it back on, and you hear the full solenoid click on and the water is flowing, adjust your regulator to the desired pressure.

If that doesn't work, your gauge may be broken as others suggested.

Best of luck!