Profitec Pro 700 - Is my brew pressure too high?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
SonVolt

#1: Post by SonVolt »

Notice the gauge jumps well past the green area and water is dripping out. The video was taken with a blind basket, but I also get similar behavior doing shots. Does that mean the pressure is set too high? I'm honestly not sure if it's always been like this and I'm just now noticing, or if this just started happening. The only change I've made recently is maxing out the steam pressure to get a little more oomph out of steaming.

mountmustache

#2: Post by mountmustache »

Yea your pump pressure is set too high. That's going over 11 bar, so your OPV is opening and letting out that water. Here's a video on adjusting your brew pressure
Since it's a dual boiler, adjusting your steam pressure shouldn't affect your brew pressure. Maybe others can talk to possible reasons why this started

Advertisement
SonVolt (original poster)

#3: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

Thanks! Not looking forward to pulling this machine out to get to the screw. You'd think they could have found a better location than underneath.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

SonVolt wrote: The video was taken with a blind basket, but I also get similar behavior doing shots.
I only pay attention to the brew pressure under flow; Why difference in pressure between blind filter and brewing? and many other threads explain why.
mountmustache wrote:...your OPV is opening and letting out that water.
It's nitpicking, but the Pro 700 has a rotary pump; they're adjusted with the relief valve. The over-pressure valve for brew pressure adjustments only applies to vibratory pumps. For a rotary pump equipped espresso machine, the OPV (technically "expansion valve") is typically set to 12 bar to protect the hydraulic system from excessive pressure during warmup or if the pump relief valve fails closed.
Dan Kehn

mountmustache

#5: Post by mountmustache »

Yea you're right, I couldn't remember the correct term. Know how to replace one though, with only a few scraped knuckles!