Profitec Pro 700 Day 1

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Senftjc77

#1: Post by Senftjc77 »

Hey peeps thought I'd share my first day experience with the Profitec Pro 700. To keep it easier to read, I am going to wise some bullets. Hopefully it will help someone thinking to buy one. Keep in mind I am coming from a Breville Duo Temp Pro which served me very well in terms of providing me with a better alternative to Starbucks.

Before I get started let me just say that I absolutely love this thing and am already satisfied with the purchase. That said I'll give you the short list of complaints first.
  • Tamper: It's metal and it works. The base does fit the portafilter nicely but it is very thin and the handle is too small. It's going to be replaced cuz I can't use this thing long term.
  • The feet: This machine is heavy so the feet are very sturdy. My complaint is that the feet grip the surface tight and do not allow the unit to slide at all. Why is this a problem? I have to locate this under the cupboard so to access the reservoir I need to be able to slide it out to add water. To solve this I ran to Walmart and bought hard plastic sliders to put on the feet. Cost a couple bucks. Problem solved.
  • That brings me to my next point. I really wish manufacturers of these high end machines would be a little more thoughtful on providing access to the reservoir. We can't all plumb in so having to take the whole tray of the top to access the reservoir all the way on the backside of the machine is painful.
  • There's a protective film on the drip tray and the cup riser that was a pain to remove.
On to some happy thoughts:
  • Steam: The steam pressure blew me away. I knew it would be better but this exceeded my expectations. You have to be very careful not to over steam because it heats up fast! But this is a huge pro for me considering how long that process took on my Breville.
  • Appearance: This thing is gorgeous on the counter! It is larger in person than I expected but in a good way. Absolutely beautiful!
  • Valves: I debated between the Pro 700 and the ECM Synch mostly because I wondered if the joysticks would be easier to operate. These sprung valves are legit. One quarter turn and it's on full blast. Not sure what people are doing in these videos when I see them spinning that valve multiple times. You don't need to. Which I love.
  • Wands: The no burn steam wands are really good. Is nice not to scorch my finger tips all the time. Do be sure to purge the steam before you use it as water does tend to accumulate.
  • The flow control device is awesome and works really well. I recommend you find the full flow mark and leave it there until you get comfortable using this machine. Assuming this is your first prosumer.
There's much more that I'll add later but have to run for now. Cheers!
Profitec Pro 700 / I'm learning

threesips

#2: Post by threesips »

Congrats on the new machine! My Pro 700 also sits beneath cabinets and I struggled at first to refill the reservoir. Kind of a pain to turn the machine sideways to access the opening, even with sliders under the feet. I found a solution in one of these, from 1st-Line Equipment:

https://www.1st-line.com/buy/la-nuova-e ... reservoir/

It's overpriced for a thin, roughly molded funnel. But it'll let you refill the reservoir by just pulling the machine forward a couple inches. It does the job better and more easily than anything else I've found.

Enjoy your new machine. I've been very happy with mine.

DaveB

#3: Post by DaveB »

Congrats on getting this awesome machine! This is one of the E61 machines at the top of my wish list, along with the ECM Synchronika with flow control and the Lelit Bianca. Over the past year I alternated using an old Expobar DB with the BDB, despite the BDB's rather long list of advantages over the Expobar. I very much prefer the looks (and levers/knobs) of a classic E61 design over the BDB!
Senftjc77 wrote:I really wish manufacturers of these high end machines would be a little more thoughtful on providing access to the reservoir. We can't all plumb in so having to take the whole tray of the top to access the reservoir all the way on the backside of the machine is painful.
This is a great point. I'd guess that a whole lot more people are using the reservoir vs plumbed on E61s. The Expobar is probably at least 70 lbs when it's full of water. Even with 21" high cupboards it's a huge PITA to refill. When the BDB was conceived (probably at least a decade ago) it's obvious they sat down and thought of all the irks of modern machines at the time - and addressed them rather nicely. Hence the front-fill water and many other things I've been spoiled with (dedicated steam boiler pump, etc). Anyway, enjoy!
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Plinyyounger »

Congrats, it's a great machine. I have one too and I'll post some thoughts as well at a later time. :D
Family, coffee and fun.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

You might also consider this for filling. Long and flexible.

Essick Air 4400 Replacement Universal Fill Hose for Humidifiers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001XW63JG/re ... NEbVN6WK0V
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Senftjc77 (original poster)

#6: Post by Senftjc77 (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip that looks perfect!

#7: Post by Senftjc77 (original poster) »

DaveB wrote:Congrats on getting this awesome machine! This is one of the E61 machines at the top of my wish list, along with the ECM Synchronika with flow control and the Lelit Bianca.
Thanks! Those are exactly the same machines I ended up on as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. There was just something about the appearance of the 700 that I liked more. Not a huge fan of the appearance of the joysticks and the sprung valves on this machine work awesome.

splashalot

#8: Post by splashalot »

I have nothing of value to add, but just wanted to say how much I love my Pro-700!

I'm a couple of months into ownership and really have nothing negative to say about it (which for me is rare. Very rare).

It is perfect for what I want from a machine.

Enjoy.

#9: Post by Senftjc77 (original poster) »

One thing I have noticed tho is that the pucks tend to be a lot wetter than in my Breville DTP. Not sure if that is on my technique or is just generally a normal condition? Not sure. I've been dosing 20g in a 22g Barista Pro basket in a naked portafilter. Someone mentioned that it could be the result of using a lower pressure toward the end of the shot but I got the same result (or similar anyway) as with a full flow shot all the way through. Anyone else seeing this with their PP700?

threesips

#10: Post by threesips »

Depending on the coffee you're using and how finely you grind, you may just have a lot of head space above the puck with 20 grams in a 22-gram basket. That can result in a wetter puck. If the espresso tastes good, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As an experiment, try a 22-gram dose and see if it makes a difference.