Profitec Pro 600 - wet puck and other weird things

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
arnies

#1: Post by arnies »

I've got a Profitec Pro 600 with FC (called the Pro 666, or Pro Mode depending on where you live). It's been great and I'm getting better at dialling in shots.

I'm having a weird issue with wet pucks. The same grind / dose / basket combo I used on my Rancilio Silvia leaves wet pucks using both bottomless and spouted portafilters. The taste is fine, but it makes clean up a real pain especially when pulling back-to-back shots for family.

What might be contributing to this is the liquid in the solenoid value doesn't seem to all get expelled when shutting the brew lever. Some does, but a lot of it only expels when I actually undo the portafilter from the group. I get a bunch of water running out of the valve and into the drip tray. Why doesn't this get expelled when closing the brew lever?

Another weird issue, whenever I pull a shot the extraction starts at the front (closest to me) side of the bottomless basket. I've made sure I'm tamping correctly etc and I'm pretty sure my machine is level, but consistently my shots tend to extract at the front of the basket. Any ideas how to fix that?

Dtkoffee

#2: Post by Dtkoffee »

I have a Pro 600 also. The wet puck sounds like you need to add more coffee because there's excess space between the top of your puck and the shower screen. How many grams are you dosing, and what's the size of the basket? In any event, try adding a gram or two of coffee, until you get a drier puck.

As for the uneven flow, that could be puck prep, but it could also be grounds clogging up the shower screen, perhaps caused by the wet puck. After I pull a shot, I remove the portafilter and then run the machine again to run water through the shower screen. Then I wipe the screen.

You may want to remove your shower screen and clean it. There may be grounds built up on the inside.

GreavesManchu

#3: Post by GreavesManchu »

I've had my Pro 600 (no FC) for 2 years and pull 6 shots every morning, everyday. Sometimes my pucks are dry, sometimes they're wet; no rhyme or reason.

letchhausen

#4: Post by letchhausen »

arnies wrote: What might be contributing to this is the liquid in the solenoid value doesn't seem to all get expelled when shutting the brew lever. Some does, but a lot of it only expels when I actually undo the portafilter from the group. I get a bunch of water running out of the valve and into the drip tray. Why doesn't this get expelled when closing the brew lever?

Another weird issue, whenever I pull a shot the extraction starts at the front (closest to me) side of the bottomless basket. I've made sure I'm tamping correctly etc and I'm pretty sure my machine is level, but consistently my shots tend to extract at the front of the basket. Any ideas how to fix that?
I have the 600 and I do not see water expelling when removing the portafilter. I also don't have wet pucks in general. Sometimes when I try new beans I might get one when I'm dialing in the grind. But in general, my pucks are very consistent. I use a bottomless portafilter, Niche grinder, RDT, WDT and my process is pretty dialed in. My times are 30 to 40 seconds depending on ratio. Tomorrow I'm going to see where my extraction starts because I don't think I've paid attention enough to even think of that. After I started WDT channeling went away for me so it just looks...normal.