Profitec Pro 600 Owner Experience - Page 8

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#71: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

I'll watch it tomorrow when I'm in front of a real monitor.

SCARR2K

#72: Post by SCARR2K »

Thanks, I updated the link with 99-111c. Appreciate all your help.

Supporter ♡

#73: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

SCARR2K wrote:Thanks, I updated the link with 99-111c. Appreciate all your help.

video
I think for me it's 103-104. That's where the water seems to immediately start to bubble and you get steam.

SCARR2K

#74: Post by SCARR2K »

Thank you so much. I'll defer to your knowledge. I do notice the difference from 102 to 103 with the larger bubbles.

Appreciate the help and your video! Although time consuming I'm hoping this will help me dial in the PP even more.

Supporter ♡

#75: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

2-3C is a pretty big change. I think it should be a noticeable difference. Good luck!

kaptain_zero

#76: Post by kaptain_zero »

Hey guys,

I do understand the idea of using flash boiling to set the offset in the PID, but I'm having difficulty merging the flash boiling with the altitude one is at?

I say that because even at 2' above sea level, the boiling temperature is 211.99. My problem is that it seems we are measuring the brew temperature based on the water boiling at local atmospheric pressure whereas espresso is extracted under very significant pressure...

To illustrate my point, if one used this flash boil idea at a coffee shop located near the top of Mount Everest (yes, I know it's ludicrous, but I'm trying to point out the confusion for me), flash boiling would occur with water at 158F! If we corrected the readout to read 212F, then we would be extracting espresso at something like 150F and I would not want to drink that espresso!

I could see doing this correction with a SCACE which reads the brew temperature as it brews under pressure, irrespective of altitude. While nobody lives on Mount Everest, the boiling temperature in Albuquerque and Denver is 202.28F and that would put the readout, if adjusted to show 212F based on Flash Boiling, to cause the brew temp to be 10F lower than the readout?!?!

In my case, my location is about 450' above sea level, so my boiling temperature is 211.1F.

Hopefully someone (Chris?) can point out the error of my thoughts.

Regards

Christian

Supporter ♡

#77: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

At sea level, water boils at 100 °C (212 °F). For every 152.4-metre (500 ft) increase in elevation, water's boiling point is lowered by approximately 0.5 °C. I'm at about 40 meters above sea level so this works pretty well for me. At 450 ft above sea level I would think it would be close enough for government work for you too. Especially given some machines come from the factory 3-10C out of whack.

Again, I recommend making these measurements with the machine set to C even if, like me, that breaks your head. You can switch the machine back to F when you're done and go back to making coffee at 200F like a normal person.

Jeff
Team HB

#78: Post by Jeff »

Nothing wrong with your thoughts. You adjust your display so that it indicates local boiling point at the "flash-boil point". For me, that's 98°C.

kaptain_zero

#79: Post by kaptain_zero »

Thanks guys, I knew I was missing something. For some reason I assumed that you would adjust the PID to read 100c when the flash-boil started. Instead, you are adjusting to "Your Known Boiling Temperature"........

PIXIllate, actually, I was trying to be nice to our southern friends. I grew up in Scandinavia and Celsius is an old friend, Fahrenheit is something I look up in tables. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm sure this will all make sense tomorrow morning, right now my head hurts!

SCARR2K

#80: Post by SCARR2K »

Had a chance to run a few shots through after adjusting my LFBT on the PP600 and gotta say I really believe the shots taste better. Again appreciate all the help and instruction (especially Chris).