Profitec Pro 500 cooling flush stabilization

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zanna5910

#1: Post by zanna5910 »

I've had this machine for about a year and it's been quite a journey for me learning. I have a thermometer by eric installed, I run it right now at about 1.0 and at 10 bars pressure. After over an hour, it idles around 207. When I pull a shot with the machine overheated, I flush until ~205 (6-7 ounces maybe) and immediately pull the shot, it drops to about 200 then steadily drops in temperature throughout the time of the shot. If pulling a shot on the rebound at 197, it will stay at a much more consistent temp for the entirety of the shot.

I read this thread and wanted to post there but its closed now: Flush routine for Profitec Pro 500? If you look at that video, you see he flushes at 210 to about 208, then the machine just jumps to the 203 range. He pulls the shot and it just sits there at that temp. When I flush down to 205, it just hovers at 205, i start the shot and the machine jumps down to 200 or so and then will just keep dropping in temp.

I'm not sure how to produce those consistent temps on the cooling flush shot. Anyone experience this behavior that has any advice for me?

h3yn0w

#2: Post by h3yn0w »

Focus less on your flush and more on your grind. If your temp is declining too quickly it's a sign that your shot may be running too fast. This will happen on any E61 machine. Also , slightly declining temp profile is not necessarily problem either.

zanna5910 (original poster)

#3: Post by zanna5910 (original poster) »

Thanks for that tidbit. I dont mind it dropping, just seems it drops too much. I had been messing with grind size, and that makes sense. Come to think of it both shots this morning (since i put new beans in) were too fast, and also dropped in temp a bunch. Will play with that and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

zanna5910 (original poster)

#4: Post by zanna5910 (original poster) »

h3yn0w wrote:Focus less on your flush and more on your grind. If your temp is declining too quickly it's a sign that your shot may be running too fast. This will happen on any E61 machine. Also , slightly declining temp profile is not necessarily problem either.
Turns out this was, at least part, of the issue. Thanks. I use my vario for grinding both espresso and french press. I try to grind french press once a week for about a hopper full or a little more for the weeks worth of french press. Try to grind another hopper full when my espresso beans empty out. Seems when I went from french press to espresso the last time, my vario wondered quite a bit. After I noticed the temp drop, I went ahead and re-calibrated to see where the pitch changed, it was farther off than I thought; almost a full macro! Brewed a few shots tonight and got it 1/2 dialed in, and noticed my temps were holding well on a more normal shot, still getting a ring and too watery, but way closer. Seems this is a combo of aspiring newbie + little experience and no help + guessing the wrong thing was at fault. Such is the life of a newbie. Strongly considering a dedicated espresso grinder as its hard enough for me to get a good shot let alone have my vario wonder its calibration on me. I've noticed this now quite a few times, guess I should just fully calibrate after ever french press grind just to be sure. Still feels random when I pull a good shot as I dont experiment and test enough. I need to take a class or something.

Anyone with this machine care to share your Pstat and Pressure settings? Also, what temp do you idle at and what do you flush to for overheated flushes? What temp do you pull shots at on the rebound? Anyone measuring grouphead temp what do you see as the temp difference on erics thermometer?

Benoitpb

#5: Post by Benoitpb »

Hi

I received my new Profitec Pro 500 2 weeks a go and I still try to understand the temperature flushing/surfing!

Is it possible to have a good result with that kind of machine without temperature probe in the E61 GROUP HEAD?

I try to find an adapter to connect in the M6 hole of the E61 group head, is not an easiest component to find.

The only one that I found is a SWAGELOK for ~75$CA/each + 25$CA for accessories, but it is 5 weeks delivery.
BPB

pnassmac

#6: Post by pnassmac »

On my Quickmill Anita, with Eric's thermometer, the temp hovers at 207 after a 1hr warmup. I then flush till the gauge reads about 194-195 at which point I quickly flip the lever downwards to stop the flush. My goal is to reach 198 which I believe means the water temp will about right at 200 (or slightly above) for brewing. As the temp rises from 194-195 to 198 it tends to really slow down at the 196-197 mark so I run the steam arm to trigger the heating coil on in order to speed up the heating of the brew water (again, my goal being 198). As soon as Eric's thermometer hits 198 I flip the brew lever and start timing my brew at first drip.

The reason 198 is so magical is because according to what I've read the brew water temp will be 3-5degree hotter at the brew head vs at Eric's thermometer. So 198+3 = ~201-203 degree fahrenheit.

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

I received my new Profitec Pro 500 2 weeks a go and I still try to understand the temperature flushing/surfing!
Then, you really need to describe the duty cycle you impose on the machine.

That is a great Hx machine !
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Benoitpb

#8: Post by Benoitpb »

@ pnassmac

Hi

Based on your affirmation :

"The reason 198 is so magical is because according to what I've read the brew water temp will be 3-5degree hotter at the brew head vs at Eric's thermometer. So 198+3 = ~201-203 degree fahrenheit."

Do you think that the temperature increase of 3 to 5 degF only cause by the thermal inertia of the group head?

Regards

Ben
BPB

pnassmac

#9: Post by pnassmac »

That's really a question for erics (above) because I'm using his invention (aka "Eric's Thermometer"). He's the very reason I own the Anita because his testing of the thermometer was done on a QM Anita.

Benoitpb

#10: Post by Benoitpb »

Mr Svendson

With your tests you notice that the Temperature in the M6 Hole, taken with TAYLOR Thermometer, is 3 to 5 degF lower than at the top of the COFFEE PUCK.

How do you compare that?

Do you think that this difference is cause by the E61 GROUP HEAD Thermal Inertia or only by the Difference of the Temperature Probe Precision and Time Process that you use? (With Probe I mean TE and TIT)

Regards

Ben P BLAIS
BPB