Profitec Pro 300 User Experience - Page 26

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Stanic

#251: Post by Stanic »

How long does it take with your usual routine, for the first drops to appear, from starting the pump?

Jelbic

#252: Post by Jelbic »

Hello

First time poster on Home-Barista here. I'm trying to decide on my next espresso machine, the pro 300 is one of the machines I am looking into and I found this thread incredibly informative and helpful.

I am all but sure that I am going with the pro 300, I just wanted to hear from some current/past owners if you think it suits my needs. I would be extremely grateful if you would chime in.

I am currently on a Rancilio Silvia (with PID), which is fine when I am making coffee for myself (espressos and cortados). However when the wife also wants a cappuccino or we have guests (2 to 4 people), I find it lacking. So basically I like the Silvia, but want more capacity.

It seems like the pro 300 would be a very good upgrade, and I like that it heats up quickly, that you can turn on steam and brew boilers separately and even its looks are growing on me :).

I am not particularly concerned with the type of group head, but e61 hx machines are my alternatives (pro 500/Rocket Mozzafiotto type v).

Do you think the capacity of the pro 300 would be sufficient for my needs?

Kind regards
Jeppe

Advertisement
Yum

#253: Post by Yum »

GMK wrote:Hi Pro 300 Users,

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread, your posts helped me to make the decision of purchasing the Pro 300 over some other machines. I really enjoy using the Pro 300! The quality is awesome and the fast warm up time is probably my favorite feature. I used it two weeks ago during a family vacation where we were 14 people total, and could crank out 10 cappuccinos one right after the other without it skipping a beat. If you are considering this machine alongside some others I don't think you can beat it for the price point. I'll also add to the aesthetic discussion and say I too was hesitant on the aesthetic of it compared to say a Rocket machine, but in person it looks great and It always gets compliments.

I would like to show some 3D printed extras that I have designed and printed for my Pro 300. The first is a tamper stand and the second is a handle that fits into the holes of the water tank cover. Not that the holes weren't easy to grab, but I kept some cups over them to keep dust out and the handle blocks those holes nicely and looks better than upside down cups imo. The tamper stand I also plan to re-print in black at some point in the future so that it matches everything else.

<image>

<image>

<image>

The handle ends are threaded and 3D printed nuts hold it in place.
<image>

If you have access to a 3D printer I would be glad to send you the .stl files for your personal use!

Yum

#254: Post by Yum »

Hi can you please send me all the specks on the 3D items you made for the profitec 300. Especially the handle for the water tank, tamper device etc. And maybe where in the USA I can get them made. I would Sooooo appreciate the help.
Thank U
Mindy

Cjfilm

#255: Post by Cjfilm »

Jelbic wrote:Hello

I am all but sure that I am going with the pro 300...

I am currently on a Rancilio Silvia (with PID), which is fine when I am making coffee for myself (espressos and cortados). However when the wife also wants a cappuccino or we have guests (2 to 4 people), I find it lacking. So basically I like the Silvia, but want more...

I am not particularly concerned with the type of group head, but e61 hx machines are my alternatives (pro 500/Rocket Mozzafiotto type v).

Do you think the capacity of the pro 300 would be sufficient for my needs?

Kind regards
Jeppe
Hi Jeppe,

New to posting on the forums here too but a long time reader. I have a similar experience to yours and a current Silvia owner but non-PID, who is strongly considering a Pro 300.

Have you purchased your 300 yet? If not a few thoughts...

I had a long conversation with the folks at Clive about the 300 vs. 500, (which was the machine I was originally and strongly considering) but temp stability and the ability to fine tune shots based on temperature was important to me. So their feeling was the 300 as a DB rendered way more stable brew temps then the 500 with PID, even after a cooling flush.

I'm proficient with the Silvia and 90% of the time I'm making two lattes (5-6 oz of milk each) back to back, where I steam each pitcher individually.

I've timed it on several occasions and steaming the first drink from a cold pitcher to 140 degrees takes 55-60 seconds. The second drink takes the same amount of time, because the boiler is reheating while steaming. Also is takes 2:30-2:45 to get the steam boiler up to temp, and that's with he Silvia warmed for 45 min before pulling 2 double shots.

If your coming from this experience, it seems like taking the reported 30 seconds or maybe a bit less to steam an equal amount of milk on the 300 is a MAJOR improvement, in addition to all the other flexibility a DB gives you.

And if your skilled enough to steam and pull a shot simultaneously, you could make a latte in 30-45 seconds.

We all suffer from "upgradeitous" (sp?) at times but if a pro 600 and 700 can do the same amount of milk in 20 seconds, if you're not making a dozen lattes back to back, the 300 still seems like a winner based on what you mentioned above.

I'm just theorizing here as our scenarios seem identical and if you're still in the market, hope this helps.

speakerdesign

#256: Post by speakerdesign »

I've had a PRO 300 for a bit over a year. Based on your steam times I think you'll find the PRO 300 a big improvement over your Silvia, plus no wait for steam. I think this is a great machine, much faster warm up time (about 12 min) over a E61 machine (about 40 min) and tighter temp control than an HX, plus the price is reasonable. I also bought my machine from Clive, good knowledgeable vendor.
I don't have any thoughts about upgrading. It's a very well made machine that makes great espresso.

Hduplooy

#257: Post by Hduplooy »

Hey Guys

Hoping to get some advice.
I've had my Pro 300 for a bit more than a year. Recently I've noticed that I've developed a drip on the hot water spout.
I find that I really have to crank the hot water knob to get it to stop.
How could I rectify this?
I've tried contacting the vendor, but he's been very unhelpful and his only solution is to replace the entire valve assembly for $100.
Are there any serviceable parts inside the valve? Seals or gaskets that can be replaced?
I've gone through the user manual and other sites, but can't seem to find a solution.

Advertisement
pexel

#258: Post by pexel »

Hi All,

First post - I'm searching for my first machine to pair with my Niche Zero.

I mostly drink espressos & americano's and I'm currently in two minds between the Profitec Pro 300 and 500. I understand the 300 may not be great at steam, but can it handle pulling back to back shots with minimal interruption?

The only reason I'm considering the 500 is to future proof my choice. I want something that can handle my current requirements but also step up to the plate when hosting friends. Perhaps the 500 is overkill?

pafcio0

#259: Post by pafcio0 »

Got Pro 300 paired with Niche, works really neat and looks cool (Pro 300 in white version).
Steaming is good enough, heats up quickly. I would deffinetely buy it again.

Bluenoser

#260: Post by Bluenoser »

pexel wrote:Hi All,

First post - I'm searching for my first machine to pair with my Niche Zero.

I mostly drink espressos & americano's and I'm currently in two minds between the Profitec Pro 300 and 500. I understand the 300 may not be great at steam, but can it handle pulling back to back shots with minimal interruption?

The only reason I'm considering the 500 is to future proof my choice. I want something that can handle my current requirements but also step up to the plate when hosting friends. Perhaps the 500 is overkill?
I think the 500 may be worse when hosting friends.. I have a Pro 500 PID and the PID design adds a restrictor in its Thermosiphon (TS) loop which causes slow rebound on my machine. So after 2-3 espressos, I need to wait about 15 minutes to get proper brew water temperature. Also you will find that with an HX design you will require an external thermometer (many use Erics thermometer) to help you develop a flushing routine and to tell you when the machine is ready to pull another shot. So the HX requires more knowledge and experience to use well over the DB 300. You will need to learn about flushing techniques. (Dual Boilers don't have the same flushing requirements as HX designs) You will find that the 300 has more accurate (consistent) brew water temperatures and since you are doing primarily espressos and americanos that seems of primary importance.

The 500 has better steam. But if you want 'great' steam, step up to the Profitec 600 which is a DB and has 2 bar steam. The 600 would be more 'future proofed'. So here you'd get better steam and more consistent brew water temp than the 500. However, you may find the 300 is as accurate as the 600 since the 300 has a 'saturated group'. This saturated design typically gives you better control over brew water temperature than even the 600.

Another machine to consider might be a Breville Dual Boiler. Typically 1/2 the cost of the others, but makes excellent espressos from all the owners I have read. From what I read, it can make, perhaps, better espresso than my Profitec 500 PID.